Definitions for ORS 442.819 to 442.851
(1) “Participant” means an entity that reports patient safety data to the Oregon Patient Safety Reporting Program, and any agent, employee, consultant, representative, volunteer or medical staff member of the entity.
(2) “Patient safety activities” includes but is not limited to:
(a) The collection and analysis of patient safety data by a participant;
(b) The collection and analysis of patient safety data by the Oregon Patient Safety Commission established in ORS 442.820 (Oregon Patient Safety Commission);
(c) The utilization of patient safety data by participants;
(d) The utilization of patient safety data by the Oregon Patient Safety Commission to improve the quality of care with respect to patient safety and to provide assistance to health care providers to minimize patient risk; and
(e) Oral and written communication regarding patient safety data among two or more participants with the intent of making a disclosure to or preparing a report to be submitted to the patient safety reporting program.
(3) “Patient safety data” means oral communication or written reports, data, records, memoranda, analyses, deliberative work, statements, root cause analyses or action plans that are collected or developed to improve patient safety or health care quality that:
(a) Are prepared by a participant for the purpose of reporting patient safety data voluntarily to the patient safety reporting program, or that are communicated among two or more participants with the intent of making a disclosure to or preparing a report to be submitted to the patient safety reporting program;
(b) Are collected or prepared by a patient safety organization certified by the United States Department of Health and Human Services under 42 U.S.C. 299b-24; or
(c) Are created by or at the direction of the patient safety reporting program, including communication, reports, notes or records created in the course of an investigation undertaken at the direction of the Oregon Patient Safety Commission.
(4) “Patient safety reporting program” means the Oregon Patient Safety Reporting Program created in ORS 442.837 (Oregon Patient Safety Reporting Program).
(5) “Serious adverse event” means an objective and definable negative consequence of patient care, or the risk thereof, that is unanticipated, usually preventable and results in, or presents a significant risk of, patient death or serious physical injury. [2003 c.686 §1; 2009 c.436 §3]
Note: 442.819 (Definitions for ORS 442.819 to 442.851) to 442.851 (Limit on amounts collected to fund Oregon Patient Safety Reporting Program) were enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but were not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 442 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.