Use of facilities by nurse practitioners and physician assistants
- • rules regarding privileges and credentialing
(1) As used in this section:
(a) “Nurse practitioner” has the meaning given that term in ORS 678.010 (Definitions for ORS 678.010 to 678.410);
(b) “Physician” has the meaning given that term in ORS 677.010 (Definitions for chapter); and
(c) “Physician assistant” has the meaning given that term in ORS 677.495 (Definitions for ORS 677.495 to 677.535).
(2) The rules of any hospital in this state may grant privileges to nurse practitioners and physician assistants for purposes of patient care.
(3) Rules must be in writing and may include, but need not be limited to:
(a) Limitations on the scope of privileges;
(b) Monitoring and supervision of nurse practitioners and physician assistants in the hospital by physicians who are members of the medical staff;
(c) A requirement that a nurse practitioner or physician assistant co-admit patients with a physician who is a member of the medical staff; and
(d) Qualifications of nurse practitioners and physician assistants to be eligible for privileges including but not limited to requirements of prior clinical and hospital experience.
(4) The rules may:
(a) Regulate the credentialing and conduct of nurse practitioners and physician assistants while using the facilities of the hospital;
(b) Prescribe the procedures for suspension or termination of a nurse practitioner’s or physician assistant’s privileges;
(c) Allow the hospital to refuse privileges to a nurse practitioner, but only on the same basis that the hospital refuses privileges to other medical providers; and
(d) Allow the hospital to refuse privileges to a physician assistant based on the refusal of privileges to the physician assistant’s supervising physician.
(5) Notwithstanding subsection (3) of this section, rules adopted by a hospital that grant privileges to licensed registered nurses who are certified by the Oregon State Board of Nursing as nurse midwife nurse practitioners must:
(a) Include admitting privileges;
(b) Be consistent with the privileges of the other medical staff; and
(c) Permit the nurse midwife nurse practitioner to exercise the voting rights of the other members of the medical staff.
(6) Rules described in this section are subject to hospital and medical staff bylaws and rules governing credentialing and staff privileges. [1993 c.34 §1; 1995 c.763 §2; 2015 c.63 §1; 2017 c.259 §1]
Note: 441.064 (Use of facilities by nurse practitioners and physician assistants) was enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but was not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 441 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.