Definitions for ORS 413.550 to 413.558
(1) “Certified health care interpreter” means an individual who has been approved and certified by the Oregon Health Authority.
(2) “Health care” means medical, surgical or hospital care or any other remedial care recognized by state law, including physical and behavioral health care.
(3) “Health care interpreter” means an individual who is readily able to:
(a) Communicate with a person with limited English proficiency;
(b) Accurately interpret the oral statements of a person with limited English proficiency, or the statements of a person who communicates in sign language, into English;
(c) Sight translate documents from a person with limited English proficiency;
(d) Interpret the oral statements of other persons into the language of the person with limited English proficiency or into sign language; and
(e) Sight translate documents in English into the language of the person with limited English proficiency.
(4) “Person with limited English proficiency” means a person who, by reason of place of birth or culture, speaks a language other than English and does not speak English with adequate ability to communicate effectively with a health care provider.
(5) “Qualified health care interpreter” means an individual who has received a valid letter of qualification from the authority.
(6) “Sight translate” means to translate a written document into spoken or sign language. [Formerly 409.615; 2015 c.318 §1]
Note: 413.550 (Definitions for ORS 413.550 to 413.558) to 413.560 (Moneys received credited to account in Oregon Health Authority Fund) were enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but were not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 413 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.