Tax levy to finance activities of veterans’ service officer
- • use of proceeds
- • use of county general funds
(1) Except as provided in subsection (3) of this section, in addition to the taxes now authorized to be levied by law, a county governing body may levy in each year a tax not exceeding one-eightieth of one percent (0.000125) of the real market value of all taxable property within the county, computed in accordance with ORS 308.207 (Computation of real market value for taxing or bonding limitations). The tax shall be levied and collected in the same manner as other county taxes and is subject to the limits set forth in ORS 310.150 (Segregation into categories).
(2) The taxes collected shall be set apart in the county treasury as a special fund for the purpose of financing the employment and the activities of the service officer appointed under ORS 408.410 (Appointment of county service officer). If an unobligated balance remains in the special fund at the end of a fiscal year, the unobligated balance may be carried forward to the next fiscal year and expended for the purposes described in this subsection.
(3) A county governing body need not levy the tax authorized under subsection (1) of this section in any fiscal year when, at the beginning of the fiscal year, the unobligated balance in the special fund described in subsection (2) of this section is sufficient to finance the employment and activities of the service officer for the entire fiscal year.
(4) If the unobligated balance in the special fund at the beginning of a fiscal year is not sufficient to finance the employment and activities of the service officer for the entire fiscal year or if the levy authorized by subsection (1) of this section is not made by a county governing body for any year for the objects specified in subsection (2) of this section, all expenses incurred under ORS 408.410 (Appointment of county service officer) and 408.720 (Tax levy to finance activities of veterans’ service officer) to 408.740 (Appointment and duties of county veterans’ relief officer) shall be paid from the general funds in the treasury of the county the same as though such levy had been duly made. [Amended by 1963 c.9 §24; 1991 c.459 §398; 1995 c.557 §2]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information