Agencies to make available and provide information to veterans
- • report to legislature
(1) As used in this section, “agency” has the meaning given that term in ORS 183.310 (Definitions for chapter).
(2) In order to assist veterans in claiming federal benefits, the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and the Oregon Military Department shall provide agencies with materials to inform individuals how to contact the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and the reintegration team within the Oregon Military Department to request information about veterans’ benefits and services.
(3) An agency shall:
(a) Make available in offices that are accessible to the public the information provided under subsection (2) of this section; and
(b) When appropriate, feasible and consistent with the agency’s mission, make reasonable efforts to:
(A) Ask a customer or client who comes into contact with the agency if the customer or client is a veteran; and
(B) Provide the information provided under subsection (2) of this section to a customer or client who states that the customer or client is a veteran.
(4) An agency may cooperate with elected officials, local governments, school districts and community colleges to implement other measures to direct customers or clients to the Department of Veterans’ Affairs or the reintegration team within the Oregon Military Department to obtain information about veterans’ benefits and services.
(5) On or before October 1 of each even-numbered year, agency directors shall report to the appropriate interim committees of the Legislative Assembly on the effectiveness of measures undertaken to implement the provisions of this section.
(6) This section does not require an agency to respond to inquiries from customers or clients about veterans’ benefits or services. [2009 c.851 §3; 2011 c.41 §1]
Note: See note under 408.503 (Department website relating to benefits).
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.