Definitions for ORS 305.823 and 403.105 to 403.250
As used in ORS 305.823 (Local government tax on telephone services prohibited) and 403.105 (Definitions for ORS 305.823 and 403.105 to 403.250) to 403.250 (Primary public safety answering points), unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) Account means the Emergency Communications Account.
(2) Automatic location identification means a component or capability of the emergency communications system that provides automatic display in the designated public safety answering point of geographic information about the location of the instrument used to originate an incoming emergency call.
(3) Automatic number identification means a component or capability of the emergency communications system that provides automatic display in the designated public safety answering point of a telephone number associated with the access line from which an incoming emergency call originates.
(4) Call-back number means a telephone number, or other unique number or code assigned to an instrument, used by a primary public safety answering point to contact the instrument from which an incoming emergency call originates.
(5) Central office means a utility that houses the switching and trunking equipment serving telephones in a defined area.
(6) Consumer means a person that purchases prepaid wireless telecommunications service in a retail transaction.
(7) Emergency call means a request for assistance using any device capable of direct communication to the emergency communications system in which prompt service is essential to preserve human life or property.
(8) Emergency communications system means the network, database, servers, other equipment and services that provide the means to communicate with a primary public safety answering point to request and provide assistance to preserve human life or property.
(9) Emergency response location identifier means a component or capability of the emergency communications system that identifies a specific emergency response location.
(10) Enhanced 9-1-1 telephone service means 9-1-1 telephone service consisting of a network, database and on-premises equipment that provides automatic display in the designated public safety answering point of a telephone number and geographic information about the location of the instrument used to originate an incoming 9-1-1 call when the call is received.
(11) Exchange access services means:
(a) Telephone exchange access lines or channels that provide access by a consumer or subscriber in this state to the local telecommunications network to effect the transfer of information; and
(b) Unless a separate tariff rate is charged therefor, any facility or service provided in connection with the services described in paragraph (a) of this subsection.
(12) Governing body means the governing body of a city, county, special district or 9-1-1 jurisdiction.
(13) Interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol service has the meaning given that term in 47 C.F.R. 9.3, as amended and in effect on June 4, 2015.
(14) Key telephone system means a type of multiline telephone system designed to provide exchange access services through shared exchange access lines or channels that typically appears to offer direct line termination on a particular instrument.
(15) Local government has the meaning given that term in ORS 190.710 (Definitions for ORS 190.710 to 190.800).
(16) Multiline telephone system means a communications system, including network, premises-based, PBX, hybrid and key telephone systems, that offers two or more telephone exchange access lines and consists of a common control unit, instruments, control hardware and software and adjunct systems installed at a subscribers premises to support the emergency communications system.
(17) Prepaid wireless telecommunications service means a telecommunications service that is sold in predetermined units or dollar amounts, must be paid for in advance and provides the purchaser with the ability to use mobile wireless service as well as other nontelecommunications services including content, ancillary services and the download of digital products delivered electronically.
(18) Primary public safety answering point means a 24-hour public safety answering point that receives emergency calls directly from members of the public.
(19) Provider means a utility, or other vendor or supplier, that offers communications service or equipment that provides access to the emergency communications system.
(20) Public or private safety agency means any unit of state or local government, a special-purpose district or a private firm that provides, or has authority to provide, fire-fighting, police, ambulance or emergency medical services.
(21) Public safety answering point means a communications facility established as an answering location for emergency calls originating within a 9-1-1 service area.
(22) Retail transaction means each individual purchase, associated with an individual access number or capable of being associated with an individual access number, of prepaid wireless telecommunications service from a seller for any purpose other than resale.
(23) Secondary public safety answering point means a public safety answering point that receives emergency calls from a primary public safety answering point on a transfer or relay basis.
(24) Seller means a person that sells prepaid wireless telecommunications service or access to prepaid wireless telecommunications service to a consumer.
(25) Subscriber means a person, other than a consumer, that has telecommunication access to the emergency communications system through local exchange service, cellular service or other wired or wireless means.
(26) TTY means a telephone-typewriter used by an individual with a hearing or speech impairment to communicate with another device or individual.
(27) Utility means a telecommunications utility, as defined in ORS 759.005 (Definitions), a telecommunications carrier, as defined in ORS 133.721 (Definitions for ORS 41.910 and 133.721 to 133.739), a municipality or any provider of exchange access services.
(28) Wireless telecommunications service means commercial mobile radio service, as defined in 47 C.F.R. 20.3.
(29) 9-1-1 emergency reporting system means a telephone service that provides the users of a public telephone system the ability to reach a primary public safety answering point by calling 9-1-1.
(30) 9-1-1 jurisdiction means:
(a) An entity created under ORS chapter 190 to form a 9-1-1 jurisdiction;
(b) A county service district established under ORS chapter 451 to provide emergency communications services within the emergency communications system;
(d) A public or private safety agency; or
(e) A group of public or private safety agencies that have agreed in writing to jointly plan the installation, maintenance, operation or improvement of components of the emergency communications system that are within a 9-1-1 service area.
(31) 9-1-1 service area means the geographical area described in an approved 9-1-1 jurisdiction plan within which a 9-1-1 jurisdiction has the responsibility to answer emergency calls. [Formerly 401.710; 2013 c.305 §1; 2014 c.59 §§1,1a; 2015 c.247 §§2,3]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information