Definitions for ORS chapter 401
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Emergency" means a human created or natural event or circumstance that causes or threatens widespread loss of life, injury to person or property, human suffering or financial loss, including but not limited to:
(a) Fire, explosion, flood, severe weather, landslides or mud slides, drought, earthquake, volcanic activity, tsunamis or other oceanic phenomena, spills or releases of oil or hazardous material as defined in ORS 466.605 (Definitions for ORS 466.605 to 466.680), contamination, utility or transportation emergencies, disease, blight, infestation, civil disturbance, riot, sabotage, acts of terrorism and war; and
(b) A rapid influx of individuals from outside this state, a rapid migration of individuals from one part of this state to another or a rapid displacement of individuals if the influx, migration or displacement results from the type of event or circumstance described in paragraph (a) of this subsection.
(2) "Emergency service agency" means an organization within a local government that performs essential services for the public’s benefit before, during or after an emergency, such as law enforcement, fire control, health, medical and sanitation services, public works and engineering, public information and communications.
(3) "Emergency services" means activities engaged in by state and local government agencies to prepare for an emergency and to prevent, minimize, respond to or recover from an emergency, including but not limited to coordination, preparedness planning, training, interagency liaison, fire fighting, oil or hazardous material spill or release cleanup as defined in ORS 466.605 (Definitions for ORS 466.605 to 466.680), law enforcement, medical, health and sanitation services, engineering and public works, search and rescue activities, warning and public information, damage assessment, administration and fiscal management, and those measures defined as "civil defense" in 50 U.S.C. app. 2252.
(4) "Local government" has the meaning given that term in ORS 174.116 ("Local government" and "local service district" defined).
(5) "Major disaster" means any event defined as a "major disaster" under 42 U.S.C. 5122(2). [1983 c.586 §2; 1985 c.733 §21; 1987 c.373 §84; 1989 c.361 §8; 1991 c.418 §1; 1991 c.956 §10; 1993 c.187 §1; 1999 c.935 §29; 2005 c.825 §9; 2007 c.97 §10; 2007 c.223 §5; 2007 c.740 §20; 2009 c.718 §17]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.