Tuition waiver program
- • amount of waiver
- • qualifications
- • priority
(1) As used in this section and ORS 399.280 (Eligibility):
(a) “Eligible post-secondary institution” has the meaning given that term in ORS 348.180 (Definitions).
(b) “Surviving family member” means a spouse or dependent of a member of the Oregon National Guard who is killed while on active duty.
(2) Subject to the availability of funds, the Oregon Military Department may contract with the Higher Education Coordinating Commission to:
(a) Disburse to eligible post-secondary institutions the dollar amount of tuition waivers authorized by this section and approved for payment by the department; and
(b) Provide to the department a compilation of the total dollar amount of the tuition waivers approved for each academic term included in the contract.
(3) The department shall regularly provide to the commission the names of members of the Oregon National Guard and surviving family members for whom tuition waivers may be approved.
(4) Any member of the Oregon National Guard or surviving family member who registers for classes at an eligible post-secondary institution may receive a tuition waiver of up to 100 percent of the resident tuition charges imposed by that institution, except that in the case of a not-for-profit independent institution, the tuition waiver may not exceed 100 percent of the resident tuition at Oregon State University.
(5)(a) A member of the Oregon National Guard may receive the tuition waiver authorized by this section at any time if the member maintains satisfactory performance with the Oregon National Guard and pursues a course of study in the eligible post-secondary institution in a manner that satisfies the usual requirements of the institution.
(b) A surviving family member may receive the tuition waiver authorized by this section if the surviving family member pursues a course of study in the eligible post-secondary institution in a manner that satisfies the usual requirements of the institution.
(c) The member of the Oregon National Guard or surviving family member is responsible for payment of the balance of the tuition charges not provided for by the tuition waiver program.
(6) When determining to whom the tuition waivers shall be granted, priority shall be given to those members of the Oregon National Guard who have previously received tuition waivers while serving in the Oregon National Guard and surviving family members who have previously received tuition waivers.
(7) The department shall apply qualifications and limitations to the tuition waiver program that are consistent with efficient and effective program management as determined by the Adjutant General. [1995 c.158 §1; 1997 c.67 §3; 2001 c.139 §1; 2005 c.200 §1; 2011 c.637 §266; 2013 c.747 §157]
Note: 399.275 (Tuition waiver program) and 399.280 (Eligibility) were enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but were not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 399 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.