Election to levy tax
(1) This section establishes the procedure for submitting to election a tax levy for any of the purposes stated in ORS 358.820 (Tax levy for municipal orchestras and band). The governing body of a city:
(a) May order the election on its own resolution; or
(b) Shall order the election when a petition is filed as provided in this section.
(2) A petition filed under this section shall request submission of the tax levy to the city electors.
(3) The requirements for preparing, circulating and filing a petition under this section shall be as provided for an initiative petition in ORS 250.265 (Prospective petition) to 250.346 (Retention of petition materials), except that notwithstanding ORS 250.325 (Procedure following filing of initiative petition) a city governing body shall submit the tax levy question to the electors without first considering its adoption or rejection.
(4) Notwithstanding subsection (3) of this section, if ORS 250.255 (Application of ORS 250.265 to 250.346) makes ORS 250.265 (Prospective petition) to 250.346 (Retention of petition materials) inapplicable to a city, the requirements for preparing, circulating and filing a petition under this section shall be as provided for an initiative petition under the city charter or an ordinance adopted under the city charter.
(5) The notice, time and manner of election shall be governed by the applicable provisions of ORS chapters 246 to 260.
(6) An election under this section shall be held only at the time of a statewide general election. [1983 c.350 §231 (enacted in lieu of 358.830); 1995 c.79 §199; 1999 c.21 §72]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.