Board of directors
- • appointment
- • membership
- • meetings
- • removal of members
(1) There is established an Oregon Health and Science University Board of Directors consisting of nine members. The directors, except for the president of the university, shall be appointed by the Governor and shall be confirmed by the Senate in the manner prescribed in ORS 171.562 (Procedures for confirmation) and 171.565 (Vote required for confirmation).
(2) Except for the president of the university, the term of office of each nonstudent member is four years. The term of office of the student member is two years. Before the expiration of the term of a member, the Governor shall appoint a successor whose term begins on October 1 next following. A member is eligible for reappointment for one additional term. If there is a vacancy for any cause, the Governor shall make an appointment to become effective immediately for the unexpired term. The board shall nominate a slate of candidates whenever a vacancy occurs or is announced and shall forward the recommended candidates to the Governor for consideration. To assist the Governor in appointing the student member, the duly organized and recognized entity of student government shall submit a list of nominees to the Governor for consideration.
(3) The membership of the board shall be as follows:
(a) Seven representatives who, in the discretion of the Governor, have experience in areas related to the university missions or that are important to the success of Oregon Health and Science University, including but not limited to higher education, health care, scientific research, engineering and technology and economic and business development.
(b) One representative who is a student enrolled at the university.
(c) The president of the university, who shall be an ex officio voting member.
(4) Directors must be citizens of the United States. Except for the president of the university, no voting member may be an employee of the university.
(5) The board shall select one of its members as chairperson and another as vice chairperson for such terms and with such duties and powers as the board considers necessary for performance of the functions of those offices. The board shall adopt bylaws concerning how a quorum shall be constituted and when a quorum shall be necessary.
(6) The board shall meet at least once every three months at Oregon Health and Science University. The board shall meet at such other times and places specified by the chairperson or by a majority of the members of the board.
(7) The Governor may remove any member of the board at any time for cause, after notice and public hearing, but not more than three members shall be removed within a period of four years, unless it is for corrupt conduct in office. [1995 c.162 §4; 1999 c.291 §3; 2001 c.123 §4; 2015 c.767 §162]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.