Admission of nonresident students at resident tuition rate under certain conditions
- • exchange procedures
- • rules
(1) Community colleges in Oregon shall admit students from other states at the same tuition rate assessed against Oregon residents who are residents of the community college district if:
(a) The state in which the student resides agrees to pay and pays its per capita state aid for comparable students in the state to the community college;
(b) The state in which the students reside agrees to permit and permits one-for-one full-time enrollment exchange arrangements that allow an equal number of Oregon residents to be admitted to community colleges or comparable institutions in the state at the same tuition rate assessed against residents of the state and community colleges or comparable institutions in the state in which the students reside agree to admit and admit approved Oregon residents without assessing nonresident tuition; or
(c) The board of the community college determines out-of-state residents are essential to providing the critical mass to offer programs that would otherwise be unavailable to Oregon residents.
(2) The Higher Education Coordinating Commission shall enter into agreements with such other states as are willing to agree to the provisions of this section to establish reimbursement procedures or one-for-one exchange procedures.
(3) In cases described in subsection (1)(a) of this section, the Office of Community Colleges and Workforce Development shall pay from funds available therefor to the state that agrees to pay and does pay its per capita state aid to eligible Oregon community colleges to the credit of the community college or comparable institution educating the Oregon resident an amount equal to the amount that would be available under ORS 341.626 (Distribution of state aid) if the Oregon resident were enrolled in a community college in this state. From these same funds, the Office of Community Colleges and Workforce Development shall pay to the Oregon community colleges admitting approved one-for-one exchange students as provided by subsection (1)(b) of this section, from other states, an amount equal to the amount that would be available under ORS 341.626 (Distribution of state aid) as if the enrolled one-for-one students were Oregon residents. The Office of Community Colleges and Workforce Development shall not reimburse Oregon community colleges that admit students from other states under subsection (1)(c) of this section.
(4) If a state that has entered into the agreement to pay the per capita state aid to eligible Oregon community colleges as described in subsections (1) and (2) of this section does not make any payment agreed to, the agreement terminates after the affected community college notifies the Higher Education Coordinating Commission of the lack of payment. The termination is effective 30 days after the commission notifies the appropriate agency of the other state that the agreement is terminated if no payment is received by the end of the academic period for which tuition is assessed and no payment is received at that time. The agreement may be reinstated by mutual consent of the parties.
(5) The Higher Education Coordinating Commission shall adopt rules governing attendance in community colleges or comparable institutions in other states for purposes of the reimbursement authorized under subsections (1) and (2) of this section to ensure that Oregon residents shall not be the object of such reimbursement if they can obtain the same education within the state without undue hardship. [Formerly 341.527; 2015 c.366 §21]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.