Change in method of nominating and electing board
(1) This section establishes the procedure for determining whether the method adopted in a district for nominating and electing board members should be changed to another method described in ORS 341.327 (Mode of election of board). The question shall be decided by election. The district board shall order an election on the question when a petition is filed as provided in this section.
(2) Except as otherwise provided in this section, the requirements for preparing, circulating and filing a petition under this section shall be as provided for an initiative petition in ORS 255.135 (Prospective petition) to 255.205 (Retention of petition materials).
(3) If the question proposes creation of zones or a change in the number of existing zones, the following requirements shall apply:
(a) The petition shall contain a map indicating the proposed zone boundaries. The map shall be attached to the cover sheet of the petition and shall not exceed 14 inches by 17 inches in size.
(b) Notwithstanding ORS 250.035 (Form of ballot titles for state and local measures), the statement summarizing the measure and its major effect in the ballot title shall not exceed 150 words. The statement:
(A) Shall specify the method of nomination and election of board members from among the methods described in ORS 341.327 (Mode of election of board). The statement also shall specify whether, in filling each position on the board, an elector of the district may sign a petition of nomination or vote for a candidate from any zone or only for a candidate from the zone in which the elector resides.
(B) Shall include a general description of the proposed boundaries of the zones, using streets and other generally recognized features.
(c) The order calling the election shall contain a map and a metes and bounds or legal description of the proposed zone boundaries. The map and description shall be prepared by the county surveyor or county assessor and shall reflect any adjustment made in the boundaries under subsection (6) of this section.
(4) The map to be contained in the petition under subsection (3) of this section shall be prepared by the county surveyor or county assessor. The chief petitioners shall pay the county for the cost of preparing the map, as determined by the county surveyor or county assessor. The county clerk shall not accept the prospective petition for filing until the chief petitioners have paid the amount due.
(5) Subsection (3) of this section does not apply if the question proposes abolition of all zones.
(6) Before submitting to election a question to which subsection (3) of this section applies, the district board shall adjust the proposed boundaries of the zones to make them as nearly equal in population as feasible according to the latest federal census. The district board shall amend the ballot title as necessary to reflect its adjustment of the boundaries.
(7) If the electors of the district approve the establishment of zones or a change in the number of existing zones, board members shall continue to serve until their terms of office expire. As vacancies occur, positions to be filled by nomination or election by zone shall be filled by persons who reside within zones which are not represented on the board. If more than one zone is not represented on the board when a vacancy occurs, the zone entitled to elect a board member shall be decided by lot. [Formerly 341.165; 1995 c.79 §186; 1995 c.534 §15]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.