Department assistance in funding school nursing services
(1) As used in this section:
(a) “School nurse” means:
(A) A school nurse as defined in ORS 342.455 (Definition of “school nurse”);
(b) “School nursing services” means nursing services provided by a school nurse practicing in a school setting pursuant to ORS 336.201 (Nursing services provided by district).
(2) The Department of Education shall assist school districts and education service districts in funding school nursing services as provided by this section. The assistance:
(a) Must include facilitating collaboration between a school district or an education service district and entities that have experience with providing the technical assistance described in subsection (4) of this section and experience in Medicaid billing; and
(b) May include any other assistance available from the department.
(3)(a) A school district or an education service district may receive assistance as described in this section by submitting an application prescribed by the department.
(b) The number of applications accepted under this subsection may be limited based on the funding and resources available.
(4) Technical assistance provided to a school district or an education service district under this section shall include the following:
(a) Assistance in the creation and implementation of a district plan to maximize Medicaid billing for school nursing services as part of the overall structure for providing school health services;
(b) Assistance to school nurses with practices related to Medicaid billing and efficiencies; and
(c) Ongoing technical assistance to participating school districts and education service districts in maximizing Medicaid billing.
(5) The department shall collaborate with any state agency necessary for the purpose of providing the assistance described in this section, including seeking any rule or statutory change necessary to secure federal financial participation in the cost of providing school nursing services.
(6) Nothing in this section prevents the department from providing assistance that is not described in this section or from providing assistance to school districts and education service districts that have not submitted an application under this section or that have not had an application accepted under this section. [2017 c.688 §1]
Note: Sections 2 and 3, chapter 688, Oregon Laws 2017, provide:
Sec. 2. (1) Notwithstanding section 1 (3)(b) of this 2017 Act [336.204 (Department assistance in funding school nursing services) (3)(b)], the Department of Education shall ensure that at least nine initial districts are accepted to receive assistance under section 1 of this 2017 Act. To the extent practicable, the initial districts shall include:
(a) At least one education service district; and
(b) School districts that represent a diverse range of sizes and geographic locations.
(2) Nothing in this section prevents an increase in the number of applications accepted to receive assistance under section 1 of this 2017 Act, as funding and resources allow.
(3) No later than October 1, 2020, the department shall submit to the interim committees of the Legislative Assembly related to education a report on:
(a) The outcomes of the assistance described in section 1 of this 2017 Act; and
(b) An analysis of the cost benefits to school districts and education service districts receiving the assistance described in section 1 of this 2017 Act. [2017 c.688 §2]
Sec. 3. Section 2 of this 2017 Act is repealed on December 31, 2020. [2017 c.688 §3]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information