- • eligibility
- • election of successors
- • vacancies
(1) The term of office of director of an education service district shall be four years.
(2) The term of office of each director of an education service district shall begin on July 1 next following the date of election. A director shall serve until June 30 next following the election of a successor.
(3) A director of an education service district must qualify by taking an oath of office before assuming the duties of office.
(4) A newly appointed director of an education service district shall take office at the meeting of the education service district board next following the appointment.
(5) A person is not eligible to serve as a director of an education service district unless the person is an elector of the district and has resided therein for a period of one year immediately preceding the election or appointment.
(6) No employee of an education service district is eligible to serve as a director of the education service district by which the employee is employed.
(7) A regular district election shall be held in a district to fill any vacancy and to elect a successor for any director whose term expires June 30 next following the election. A successor shall be elected as follows:
(a) If the director was elected from a zone established under ORS 334.032 (Zones), a successor from the same zone shall be elected by the electors of the zone.
(b) If the director was elected at large a successor shall be elected at large by the electors of the district.
(8) Notwithstanding subsection (7) of this section, in any district having a population of 550,000 or more according to the latest federal census that becomes zoned according to ORS 334.032 (Zones), the board shall determine prior to the nomination of school directors which positions shall be from zones and which positions shall be at large.
(9) Any vacancy on the board from any zone shall be filled by the remaining directors from among the qualified persons in that zone. Any such vacancy from the district at large shall be filled by the remaining directors from among the qualified persons in the district. However, if vacancies occur in a majority of the positions on the board, the State Board of Education shall fill the vacancies from among the qualified persons of the zones, if any, or from among other persons who are qualified to serve. The period of service of an appointee under this subsection expires June 30 next following the next regular district election at which a successor is elected. The successor shall be elected to serve the remainder, if any, of the term for which the appointment was made. If the term for which the appointment was made expires June 30 after the election of the successor, the successor shall be elected to a full term. In either case, the successor shall take office July 1 next following the election. [Amended by 1957 c.678 §9; 1965 c.100 §176; 1971 c.47 §4; 1973 c.796 §49; 1975 c.770 §40; 1981 c.131 §5; 1983 c.350 §182; 1983 c.379 §8; 1993 c.784 §9; 1995 c.611 §11]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.