Division of assets and liabilities
(1) When changes in school district boundaries are made by the detachment of territory or annexation of less than an entire school district to another, the district school boards of the districts affected by each change shall immediately after the change make an equitable division of the then existing assets and liabilities between the districts affected by such change and provide the manner of consummating the division.
(2) In case of failure to agree within 20 days from the time the district boundary board issues its order, the matter shall be decided by a board of arbitrators. The board of arbitrators shall consist of one member appointed by each of the boards of the school districts affected and an additional member appointed by the other appointees.
(3) In the event any such district school board fails to appoint an arbitrator within 30 days, the Superintendent of Public Instruction shall appoint such arbitrator. In the event the arbitrators selected fail to appoint the additional arbitrator within 30 days after the appointment of the arbitrator last appointed, the Superintendent of Public Instruction shall notify the judge of the circuit court senior in service of the county in which the administrative office of the most populous school district is located. Within 10 days after receiving such notice, the judge shall appoint the additional arbitrator.
(4) Each member of the board of arbitrators shall be entitled to the sum of $20 per day for each day’s service, and necessary traveling expenses, while sitting in the official capacity of the member. Expenses thus incurred shall be equally apportioned among the districts concerned.
(5) A party to an arbitration under this section may seek confirmation, vacation, modification or correction of the arbitrator’s decision as provided in ORS 36.700 (Confirmation of award), 36.705 (Vacating award) and 36.710 (Modification or correction of award). A court may vacate an award only if there is a basis to vacate the award described in ORS 36.705 (Vacating award) (1)(a) to (d). The court may modify or correct an award only for the grounds given in ORS 36.710 (Modification or correction of award).
(6) Assets include all school property and moneys belonging to the district at the time of the division. Liabilities include all debts for which the respective districts in their corporate capacities are liable at the time of division. In determining the assets, school property shall be estimated at its real market value. The assets and liabilities shall be divided between the districts in proportion to the last assessed value of the real and personal property. The district retaining the real property shall pay the other districts concerned such sums as are determined in accordance with the provisions of this section. All funds to be apportioned during the current school year, after such division, shall be made in proportion to the resident average daily membership of the districts divided, as shown by the report of such districts for the period ending the preceding June 30 as certified by the districts to the administrative office of the county. [Formerly 330.050; 1971 c.294 §7; 1979 c.772 §20; 1991 c.167 §14; 2003 c.598 §39]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.