Curriculum relating to Native American experience in Oregon
(1) The Department of Education shall:
(a) Develop a curriculum relating to the Native American experience in Oregon and make the curriculum available to school districts; and
(b) Provide professional development to teachers and administrators relating to the curriculum.
(2) The curriculum required by this section must be:
(a) For students in kindergarten through grade 12;
(b) Related to the Native American experience in Oregon, including tribal history, sovereignty issues, culture, treaty rights, government, socioeconomic experiences and current events;
(c) Historically accurate, culturally relevant, community-based, contemporary and developmentally appropriate; and
(d) Aligned with the academic content standards adopted under ORS 329.045 (Revision of Common Curriculum Goals, performance indicators, diploma requirements, Essential Learning Skills and academic content standards).
(3) School districts must implement the curriculum developed under subsection (1) of this section for students in kindergarten through grade 12.
(4) The department may contract for the development of the curriculum under this section or for the provision of professional development.
(5) The department shall ensure that the federally recognized Indian tribes in Oregon are given the opportunity to collaborate in the development of the curriculum and the provision of professional development, and may make moneys available to those tribes to support collaboration efforts. [2017 c.632 §2]
Note: Section 3, chapter 632, Oregon Laws 2017, provides:
Sec. 3. Phase-in of implementation of curriculum relating to Native American experience in Oregon. (1) The requirement of section 2 (3) of this 2017 Act [329.493 (Curriculum relating to Native American experience in Oregon) (3)], relating to the implementation of the curriculum developed under section 2 (1) of this 2017 Act, first applies to the 2019-2020 school year.
(2) The Department of Education shall report on the status of the implementation of section 2 of this 2017 Act to the Commission on Indian Services, the Government to Government Indian Education Cluster and the State Board of Education no later than:
(a) October 15, 2018;
(b) October 15, 2019; and
(c) October 15, 2020. [2017 c.632 §3]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.