Early Learning Division to administer prekindergarten program
- • grants
- • coordination with other programs
(1) The Early Learning Division shall administer the Oregon prekindergarten program to assist eligible children with comprehensive services including educational, social, health and nutritional development to enhance their chances for success in school and life. Eligible children, upon request of parent or guardian, shall be admitted to approved Oregon prekindergartens to the extent that the Legislative Assembly provides funds.
(2) Nonsectarian organizations including school districts and Head Start grantees are eligible to compete for funds to establish an Oregon prekindergarten. Grant recipients shall serve children eligible according to federal Head Start guidelines and other children who meet criteria of eligibility adopted by rule by the Early Learning Council. However, not more than 20 percent of the total enrollment shall consist of children who do not meet Head Start guidelines. School districts may contract with other governmental or nongovernmental nonsectarian organizations to conduct a portion of the program. Funds appropriated for the program shall be used to establish and maintain new or expanded Oregon prekindergartens and shall not be used to supplant federally supported Head Start programs. Oregon prekindergartens also may accept gifts, grants and other funds for the purposes of this section.
(3) Applicants shall identify how they will serve the target population and provide all components as specified in the federal Head Start performance standards and guidelines, including staff qualifications and training, facilities and equipment, transportation and fiscal management.
(4) Oregon prekindergartens shall coordinate with each other and with federal Head Start programs to ensure efficient delivery of services and prevent overlap. Oregon prekindergartens shall also work with local organizations such as local education associations serving young children and make the maximum use of local resources.
(5) Oregon prekindergartens shall coordinate services with other services provided through the Oregon Early Learning System. The coordination of services shall be consistent with federal and state law.
(6)(a) The governing body of a recipient of grant funds under this section shall be subject to ORS 192.610 (Definitions for ORS 192.610 to 192.690) to 192.690 (Exceptions to ORS 192.610 to 192.690) but is subject to ORS 192.311 (Definitions for ORS 192.311 to 192.478) to 192.478 (Exemption for Judicial Department) only:
(A) With respect to records created at a meeting of the governing body, minutes of a meeting of a governing body or records presented at a meeting of the governing body; or
(B) As otherwise provided by law other than this subsection.
(b) As used in this subsection, “governing body” means a board or other entity of two or more persons who are authorized to make decisions with respect to a recipient or who are authorized to advise or make recommendations to a governing body of the recipient. [Formerly 326.605; 2001 c.831 §16; 2012 c.37 §87; 2013 c.282 §§1,2; 2013 c.624 §§5,6]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.