Definitions for chapter
As used in this chapter, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) “Academic content standards” means expectations of student knowledge and skills adopted by the State Board of Education under ORS 329.045 (Revision of Common Curriculum Goals, performance indicators, diploma requirements, Essential Learning Skills and academic content standards).
(2) “Administrator” includes all persons whose duties require an administrative license.
(3) “Board” or “state board” means the State Board of Education.
(4) “Community learning center” means a school-based or school-linked program providing informal meeting places and coordination for community activities, adult education, child care, information and referral and other services as described in ORS 329.157 (Identification and coordination of existing resources). “Community learning center” includes, but is not limited to, a community school program as defined in ORS 336.505 (“Community school program” defined), family resource centers as described in ORS 417.725 (Key elements of system), full service schools, lighted schools and 21st century community learning centers.
(5) “Department” means the Department of Education.
(6) “English” includes, but is not limited to, reading and writing.
(7) “History, geography, economics and civics” includes, but is not limited to, Oregon Studies.
(8) “Oregon Studies” means history, geography, economics and civics specific to the State of Oregon. Oregon Studies instruction in Oregon government shall include municipal, county, tribal and state government, as well as the electoral and legislative processes.
(9) “Parents” means parents or guardians of students who are covered by this chapter.
(10) “Public charter school” has the meaning given that term in ORS 338.005 (Definitions for chapter).
(11) “School district” means a school district as defined in ORS 332.002 (Definitions for chapter), a state-operated school or any legally constituted combination of such entities.
(12) “Teacher” means any licensed employee of a school district who has direct responsibility for instruction, coordination of educational programs or supervision of students and who is compensated for such services from public funds. “Teacher” does not include a school nurse, as defined in ORS 342.455 (Definition of “school nurse”), or a person whose duties require an administrative license.
(13) “The arts” includes, but is not limited to, literary arts, performing arts and visual arts.
(14) “World languages” means American Sign Language and languages other than English.
(15) “21st Century Schools Council” means a council established pursuant to ORS 329.704 (Local 21st Century Schools Councils). [1995 c.660 §2; 1999 c.1023 §4; 1999 c.1029 §1; 2001 c.759 §1; 2003 c.303 §2; 2007 c.858 §1; 2013 c.15 §1]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.