Superintendent’s educational duties
Except as provided by ORS 326.041 (Meetings), 326.051 (Board functions), 341.015 (Guidelines for districts), 341.440 (Contracts for educational services), 341.455 (Credit for career school courses), 341.626 (Distribution of state aid), 341.655 (Distribution of federal funds for career and technical education) and 341.933 (Distribution of state funds for capital construction), the Superintendent of Public Instruction shall exercise, under the direction of the State Board of Education, a general superintendence of school officers and the public schools. In carrying out the duties of office, the Superintendent of Public Instruction shall:
(1) Act as administrative officer of the State Board of Education.
(2) Act as executive head of the Department of Education and direct and supervise all activities of the department.
(3) Assist all district school boards and education service district boards in answering questions concerning the proper administration of the school laws, the rules of the State Board of Education and the ministerial duties of school officers and teachers. The decision of the superintendent shall guide school officers and teachers in the performance of their duties relating to the matters decided. The superintendent may submit any question to the State Board of Education which shall then decide the question.
(4) Obtain and compile such statistical information relative to the condition and operation of the public schools as the superintendent or the state board may consider advisable for the advancement of education and for the information of the state board and the public.
(5) Appoint, subject to the State Personnel Relations Law and with the approval of the State Board of Education, such personnel as may be necessary for the performance of the duties of the office of the superintendent. The Superintendent of Public Instruction may designate one or more suitable persons to sign or countersign warrants, vouchers, certificates or other papers and documents requiring the signature of the superintendent.
(6) Administer and supervise adult education programs in the public elementary and secondary schools.
(7) Perform such other functions as may be necessary to the performance of the duties of the superintendent. [1965 c.100 §11; 1989 c.491 §3; 1993 c.45 §13; 1995 c.67 §37; 1999 c.938 §3; 2003 c.226 §2; 2013 c.747 §38]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.