Definitions for ORS 323.810 to 323.816
(1) “Adjusted for inflation” means increased in accordance with the formula for inflation adjustment set forth in Exhibit F to the Smokeless Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement.
(2) “Affiliate” means a person who directly or indirectly owns or controls, is owned or controlled by or is under common ownership or control with another person. For purposes of defining “affiliate”:
(a) “Owns,” “is owned” and “ownership” mean ownership of an equity interest, or the equivalent thereof, of 10 percent or more; and
(b) “Person” means an individual, partnership, committee, association, corporation or any other organization or group of persons.
(3) “Qualified escrow fund” means an escrow arrangement with a federally or state chartered financial institution having no affiliation with any tobacco product manufacturer and having assets of at least $1 billion, where such arrangement requires that such financial institution hold the escrowed funds’ principal for the benefit of releasing parties and prohibits the tobacco product manufacturer who is placing the funds into escrow from using, accessing or directing the use of the escrowed funds’ principal except as consistent with ORS 323.816 (Required actions by manufacturer) (2)(b).
(4) “Released claims” has the meaning given that term in section II(gg) of the Smokeless Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement.
(5) “Releasing parties” has the meaning given that term in section II(ii) of the Smokeless Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement.
(6) “Smokeless Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement” means the settlement agreement (and related documents) entered into on November 23, 1998, by the State of Oregon and leading United States tobacco product manufacturers.
(7) “Smokeless tobacco products” means moist snuff, as defined in ORS 323.500 (Definitions for ORS 323.500 to 323.645), or chewing tobacco, as defined in section 5702 of the Internal Revenue Code.
(8)(a) “Tobacco product manufacturer” means an entity that, after September 28, 2009, directly (and not exclusively through any affiliate):
(A) Manufactures smokeless tobacco products anywhere that such manufacturer intends to be sold in the United States, including smokeless tobacco products intended to be sold in the United States through an importer (except where such importer is an Original Participating Manufacturer, as defined in section II(cc) of the Smokeless Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement), that will be responsible for the payments under the Smokeless Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement with respect to such smokeless tobacco products as a result of the provisions of section VI(b) of the Smokeless Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement and that pays the taxes specified in section II(w) of the Smokeless Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement, and provided that the manufacturer of such smokeless tobacco products does not market or advertise such smokeless tobacco products in the United States);
(B) Is the first purchaser anywhere for resale in the United States of smokeless tobacco products manufactured anywhere that the manufacturer does not intend to be sold in the United States; or
(C) Becomes a successor of an entity described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of this paragraph.
(b) “Tobacco product manufacturer” does not include an affiliate of a tobacco product manufacturer unless such affiliate is itself a tobacco product manufacturer under paragraph (a) of this subsection.
(9) “Units sold” means the number of individual containers of smokeless tobacco products sold in the State of Oregon by the applicable tobacco product manufacturer (whether directly or through a distributor, retailer or similar intermediary or intermediaries) during the year in question, as measured by excise taxes collected by the State of Oregon. The Department of Revenue shall adopt such rules as are necessary to ascertain the amount of state excise tax paid on the smokeless tobacco products of such tobacco product manufacturer for each year. A unit container shall contain 3.2 ounces of moist snuff, as defined in ORS 323.500 (Definitions for ORS 323.500 to 323.645), or 3.0 ounces of chewing tobacco. [2009 c.717 §18]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.