Payment of tax
- • returns
- • estimated tax
- • payment
(1) The taxes levied under ORS 321.015 (Levy of privilege taxes upon harvest of timber for certain purposes) shall be due and payable annually, on or before April 15, for the preceding calendar year. The tax shall be delinquent if not paid by the due date, which shall be determined without regard to any extension of time for filing the return.
(2) Subject to the provisions relating to estimated tax payments provided in subsections (4) and (5) of this section, on or before April 15, each taxpayer shall make out a return on the form prescribed by the Department of Revenue showing the amount of the tax for which the taxpayer is liable for the preceding calendar year and the other information the department considers necessary to correctly determine the tax due and shall mail or deliver the return, together with a remittance for the amount of the tax, to the office of the department. The return shall be signed and verified by the taxpayer or a duly authorized agent of the taxpayer. Whenever in its judgment good cause exists, the department may allow upon written application made on or before the due date further time not exceeding 30 days for filing a return.
(3) All payments received under ORS 321.005 (Definitions for ORS 321.005 to 321.185, 321.560 to 321.600 and 477.440 to 477.460) to 321.185 (Forest Research and Experiment Account) and 321.560 (Audit of returns) to 321.600 (Tax as debt) shall be credited, first, to penalty and interest accrued, and then to tax due.
(4) Each taxpayer expecting to incur a liability pursuant to this section in excess of $1,500 for any calendar year shall, on forms prescribed by the Department of Revenue, make and file with the department on or before the last day of the month following the end of each calendar quarter an estimate of the taxpayer’s tax liability for the year. At least one-quarter of the estimated tax shall be remitted to the department with each estimated tax report and the balance shall be remitted to the department on or before the last day of January of the following calendar year, without regard to any extension of time for filing the return.
(5) If the amount remitted with an estimated tax report filed on or before the due date thereof is at least 25 percent of the tax of the taxpayer as due for the calendar year preceding the year for which the report is made or at least 20 percent of the taxpayer’s tax liability as due for the year for which the report is made, or 100 percent of the tax liability on the actual merchantable forest products harvested for the calendar quarter preceding the due date of the estimated tax report, no penalty or interest shall be charged. Otherwise a penalty in the form of interest at the rate established under ORS 305.220 (Interest on deficiency, delinquency or refunds) shall be assessed for the period of delinquency calculated on the difference between the payment made and the payment that would have been due had the taxpayer estimated the liability for the quarter in an amount equal to the liability as due for such quarter. The provisions of ORS chapters 305 and 314 relating to penalties and interest shall not apply to the estimated tax payments described in this section. [1953 c.375 §§5,6; 1965 c.331 §1; 1981 c.363 §1; 1982 s.s.1 c.16 §12; 1989 c.588 §1; 1991 c.459 §274; 1993 c.653 §5; 2005 c.94 §101; 2017 c.278 §13; 2019 c.361 §1]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information