Report to Legislative Assembly
On or before January 1 of each odd-numbered year, the Department of Revenue shall submit a report to the Legislative Assembly in the manner provided by ORS 192.245 (Form of report to legislature). The report shall include recommendations for legislation related to jurisdictions listed in ORS 317.716 (Addition to unitary group income of taxable income or loss of certain corporations incorporated in offshore jurisdictions), including recommendations for additions to or subtractions from the list of jurisdictions in ORS 317.716 (Addition to unitary group income of taxable income or loss of certain corporations incorporated in offshore jurisdictions). In making the determination of which jurisdictions to recommend for inclusion, the department shall determine whether a jurisdiction is one that for the tax year has no or nominal effective tax on the relevant income and for which at least one of the following applies:
(1) The jurisdiction has laws or practices that prevent effective exchange of information for tax purposes with other governments about taxpayers benefiting from the tax regime.
(2) The jurisdiction has a tax regime that lacks transparency. A tax regime lacks transparency if the details of legislative, legal or administrative provisions are not open and apparent or are not consistently applied among similarly situated taxpayers, or if the information needed by tax authorities to determine a taxpayer’s correct tax liability, such as accounting records and underlying documentation, is not adequately available.
(3) The jurisdiction facilitates the establishment of foreign-owned entities without the need for a local substantive presence or prohibits these entities from having any commercial impact on the local economy.
(4) The jurisdiction explicitly or implicitly excludes the jurisdiction’s resident taxpayers from taking advantage of the tax regime’s benefits or prohibits enterprises that benefit from the regime from operating in the jurisdiction’s domestic market.
(5) The jurisdiction has created a tax regime that is favorable for tax avoidance, based upon an overall assessment of relevant factors, including whether the jurisdiction has a significant untaxed offshore financial or other services sector relative to its overall economy. [2013 c.707 §4; 2015 c.755 §4]
Note: 317.717 (Report to Legislative Assembly) was enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but was not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 317 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.