Alternative withholding requirements for qualifying film production compensation
- • rules
- • refund prohibition
(1) A person who has obtained a written certificate under section 1, chapter 559, Oregon Laws 2005, who is engaged in a qualifying film production and who pays qualifying compensation shall withhold, in lieu of the state personal income tax withholding requirements under ORS 316.167 (Withholding of tax required), 6.2 percent of the qualifying compensation paid.
(2) For tax years beginning on or after January 1, 2007, the Department of Revenue may by rule prescribe a withholding percentage that reflects the departments best estimate of state personal income tax attributable to qualifying compensation. If a withholding percentage is established by rule, a person described in subsection (1) of this section shall withhold at the percentage established by rule in lieu of subsection (1) of this section and the state personal income tax withholding requirements under ORS 316.167 (Withholding of tax required).
(3) A person who withholds amounts under this section shall pay the amounts withheld to the Department of Revenue and shall file combined quarterly tax and assessment reports in accordance with ORS 316.168 (Employer required to file combined quarterly tax report).
(4) A person who is required to withhold amounts under this section shall file, in addition to any other reports required by law, a report with the Oregon Film and Video Office, reporting:
(a) The total amount of qualifying compensation paid by the person;
(b) The names, taxpayer identification numbers and amounts of qualifying compensation paid to each employee receiving qualifying compensation during the period during which the qualifying film production was produced;
(c) The total amount withheld under this section for the period during which the qualifying film production was produced; and
(d) Any other information required by the office.
(5) The report must be filed with the office as soon as is practicable following completion of the qualifying film production or, in the case of a qualifying film production that consists of commercials, annually on or before January 31 of the year following the year in which the commercials were produced. The office shall report the total amount reported by each person under subsection (4)(c) of this section to the department.
(6) Notwithstanding ORS 316.171 (Application of tax and report to administration of tax laws) or other law governing claims for refund of withheld amounts under ORS 316.162 (Definitions for ORS 316.162 to 316.221) to 316.221 (Disposition of withheld amounts), a person who withholds amounts under this section may not file a claim for refund with respect to any amount shown as having been withheld or any payment accompanying a report filed under ORS 316.162 (Definitions for ORS 316.162 to 316.221) to 316.221 (Disposition of withheld amounts) for a reporting period that overlaps a period for which a report is filed under subsection (4) of this section. [2005 c.559 §4]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information