Reports by employer
- • waiver
- • penalty for failure to substantiate report
- • rules
(1) With each payment made to the Department of Revenue, every employer shall deliver to the department, on a form prescribed by the department showing the total amount of withheld taxes in accordance with ORS 316.167 (Withholding of tax required), 316.172 (Tax withholding tables to be prepared by department) and 320.550 (Tax on wages), and supply such other information as the department may require. The employer is charged with the duty of advising the employee of the amount of moneys withheld, in accordance with such regulations as the department may prescribe, using printed forms furnished or approved by the department for such purpose.
(2) Except as provided in subsection (4) of this section, every employer shall submit a combined quarterly return to the department on a form provided by it showing the number of payments made, the withheld taxes paid during the quarter and an explanation of federal withholding taxes as computed by the employer. The report shall be filed with the department on or before the last day of the month following the end of the quarter.
(3) The employer shall make an annual return to the department on forms provided or approved by it, summarizing the total compensation paid and the taxes withheld for all employees during the calendar year and shall file the same with the department on or before the due date of the corresponding federal return for the year for which report is made. Failure to file the annual report without reasonable excuse on or before the 30th day after notice has been given to the employer of failure subjects the employer to a penalty of $100. The department may by rule require additional information the department finds necessary to substantiate the annual return, including but not limited to copies of federal form W-2 for individual employees, and may prescribe circumstances under which the filing requirement imposed by this subsection is waived.
(4) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (2) of this section, employers of agricultural employees may submit returns annually showing the number of payments made and the withheld taxes paid. However, such employers shall make and file a combined quarterly tax report with respect to other tax programs, as required by ORS 316.168 (Employer required to file combined quarterly tax report).
(5) In addition to any other penalty required by law:
(a) A person who fails to substantiate a report required under subsection (3) of this section, or who files incomplete or incorrect substantiation, shall be subject to a penalty of $50 per federal form W-2 after the date on which the substantiation is due, up to a maximum penalty of $2,500.
(b) A person who knowingly fails to substantiate a report required under subsection (3) of this section, or who knowingly files incomplete or incorrect substantiation, shall be subject to a penalty of $250 per federal form W-2 after the date on which the substantiation is due, up to a maximum penalty of $25,000. [1969 c.493 §32; 1973 c.83 §1; 1982 s.s.1 c.1 §3; 1983 c.697 §2; 1987 c.366 §4; 1989 c.901 §8; 1993 c.593 §5; 1995 c.815 §1; 2013 c.734 §2; 2014 c.114 §14; 2017 c.750 §122f]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.