Change in use of open space land
- • notice to assessor
- • withdrawal from classification
- • collection of additional taxes
- • exception
(1) When land has once been classified under ORS 308A.300 (Definitions for ORS 308A.300 to 308A.330) to 308A.330 (Rules), it shall remain under such classification and it shall not be applied to any other use than as open space unless withdrawn from classification as provided in subsection (2) of this section, except that if the use as open space land changes from one open space use to another open space use, such as a change from park purposes to golf course land, the owner shall notify the assessor of such change prior to the next January 1 assessment date.
(2) During any year after classification, notice of request for withdrawal may be given by the owner to the county assessor or assessors of the county or counties in which such land is situated. The county assessor or assessors, as the case may be, shall withdraw such land from such classification, and immediately shall give written notice of the withdrawal to the granting authority that classified the land; and additional real property taxes shall be collected on such land in an amount equal to the total amount of potential additional taxes computed under ORS 308A.312 (Notice to assessor of approval or denial) (3) during each year in which the land was classified, together with interest at the rate of two-thirds of one percent a month, or fraction of a month, from the dates on which such additional taxes would have been payable had the land not been so classified, limited to a total amount not in excess of the dollar difference in the value of the land as open space land for the last year of classification and the real market value under ORS 308.205 (Real market value defined) for the year of withdrawal.
(3) If the owner fails to give the notice required under subsection (1) of this section during the period of classification, upon withdrawal under subsection (2) of this section, the assessor shall add to the tax extended against the land previously classified, an amount, if any, equal to the additional taxes that would have been collected had the assessor valued the classified land on the basis of the changed open space use, together with interest at the rate of two-thirds of one percent a month, or fraction of a month, from the dates on which such additional taxes would have been payable.
(4) Notwithstanding subsection (2) of this section, open space lands that qualify for wildlife habitat special assessment under ORS 308A.403 (Legislative intent) to 308A.430 (Disqualification from special assessment) or conservation easement special assessment under ORS 308A.450 (Definitions for ORS 308A.450 to 308A.465) to 308A.465 (Inspection by holder) may be disqualified from open space special assessment and qualified for wildlife habitat special assessment or conservation easement special assessment without payment of any additional tax under this section.
(a) The additional tax as determined under subsection (2) of this section shall remain a potential liability notated on the assessment and tax roll, separate from and in addition to the wildlife habitat potential additional tax described in ORS 308A.427 (Valuation) or the conservation easement potential additional tax described in ORS 308A.459 (Valuation).
(b) The interest as described in subsection (2) of this section shall be frozen for as long as the land remains in wildlife habitat special assessment or conservation easement special assessment.
(c) If the land is disqualified from wildlife habitat special assessment or conservation easement special assessment and again becomes qualified for open space special assessment, the open space potential tax calculation shall resume as of the date of the renewed open space use special assessment qualification. [Formerly 308.770; 2003 c.539 §15; 2007 c.809 §9]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information