Income requirements for nonexclusive farm use zone farmland
(1) For purposes of ORS 308A.050 (Legislative intent) to 308A.128 (Certain district assessments inapplicable to exclusive farm use zone farmland), farmland or a farm parcel that is not within an area zoned for exclusive farm use is not used exclusively for farm use unless all of the prerequisites of subsections (2) to (5) of this section are met.
(2)(a) Except as provided in subsection (6) of this section, in three out of the five full calendar years immediately preceding the assessment date, the farmland or farm parcel was operated as a part of a farm unit that has produced a gross income from farm uses in the following amount for a calendar year:
(A) If the farm unit consists of 6-1/2 acres or less, the gross income from farm use shall be at least $650.
(B) If the farm unit consists of more than 6-1/2 acres but less than 30 acres, the gross income from farm use shall be at least equal to the product of $100 times the number of acres and any fraction of an acre of land included.
(C) If the farm unit consists of 30 acres or more, the gross income from farm use shall be at least $3,000.
(b) For purposes of determining the number of acres to be considered under paragraph (a) of this subsection, the land described in ORS 308A.056 (Definition of "farm use") (3) and the land, not exceeding one acre, used as a homestead shall not be included.
(c) If a farm parcel is operated as part of a farm unit and the farmland of the farm unit is not all under the same ownership, the gross income requirements applicable to the farm parcel shall be as provided under paragraph (a) of this subsection. In addition, the gross income from farm use of a farm parcel described under this paragraph must be at least:
(A) One-half of the gross income requirements described under paragraph (a) of this subsection that would be required if the farm parcel were the only farmland of the farm unit; or
(B) A cash or net share crop rental of one-quarter of the gross income requirements described under paragraph (a) of this subsection that would be required if the farm parcel were the only farmland of the farm unit. For purposes of this subparagraph, "net share crop rental" means the value of any crop received by the owner of the farm parcel less any costs borne by the owner of the farm parcel.
(3) Excise or income tax returns are filed with the Department of Revenue for purposes of ORS chapter 316, 317 or 318 by the farmland owner or the operator of the farm unit that include a Schedule F and, if applicable, by the owner of a farm parcel that include a schedule or schedules showing rental income received by the owner of the farm parcel, during the years to which the income requirements of this section apply.
(4) Upon request, a copy of the returns or the schedules of the returns showing the gross income received from farm use is furnished by the taxpayer to the county assessor.
(5) The burden of proving the gross income of the farm unit for the years described in subsection (2) of this section is upon the person claiming special assessment for the land.
(6) The failure of a farm unit to produce the amount of gross income required by subsection (2) of this section shall not prevent the farm unit from meeting the qualifications of this section if:
(a) The failure is because:
(A) The effect of flooding substantially precludes normal and reasonable farming during the year; or
(b) The farm unit produces the required amount of gross income in three out of the last five nonflood or nondrought years.
(7) As used in this section:
(a) "Farm parcel" means the contiguous land under the same ownership, whether assessed as one or more than one tax lot.
(b) "Gross income" includes the value of any crop or livestock that is used by the owner personally or in the farming operation of the owner, but does not include:
(A) The value of any crop or livestock so used unless records accurately reflecting both value and use of the crop or livestock are kept by the owner in a manner consistent with generally accepted accounting principles; and
(B) The purchase cost of livestock.
(c) "Owner" or "ownership" means any person described under ORS 308A.077 (Application to qualify nonexclusive farm use zone farmland) (2)(b)(A), (B), (D) or (E) and spouse or other person who is also an owner as tenant in common or other joint ownership interest. [Formerly 308.372; 2003 c.46 §22]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.