Department to make annual assessment of designated utilities and companies
(1) The Department of Revenue shall make an annual assessment of any property that has a situs in this state and that, except as provided in subsection (3) of this section, is used or held for future use by any company in performing or maintaining any of the following businesses or services or in selling any of the following commodities, whether in domestic or interstate commerce or in any combination of domestic and interstate commerce, and whether mutually or for hire, sale or consumption by other persons:
(a) Railroad transportation;
(b) Railroad switching and terminal;
(c) Electric rail transportation;
(d) Private railcar transportation;
(e) Air transportation;
(f) Water transportation upon inland water of the State of Oregon;
(g) Air or railway express;
(m) Toll bridge; or
(n) Private railcars of all companies not otherwise listed in this subsection, if the private railcars are rented, leased or used in railroad transportation for hire.
(2) The assessment described in subsection (1) of this section shall be made on an assessment roll that is prepared by the division of the department charged with property tax administration.
(3) There may not be assessed under subsection (1) of this section:
(a) Any property used by or for water transportation companies whose watercraft ply exclusively on the high seas, or between the high seas and inland water ports or terminals, or any combination thereof.
(b) Any property used by or for water transportation companies exclusively for hire by other persons for booming and rafting, dredging, log or marine salvage, ship berthing, maintenance, sludge removal, cleaning or repair, marine or water-based construction, or guide service.
(c) Any property used by or for interstate ferries or by or for water transportation companies as ferries operating directly across interstate rivers.
(d) Any property of the National Railroad Passenger Corporation.
(e) Any aircraft that is required to be registered under ORS 837.040 (Persons required to register aircraft) for all or any part of the calendar year and that is not used to provide scheduled passenger service.
(4) Any corporation included within subsection (1) of this section, to the extent that it actively engages in any business or service not described therein or not incidental to any business or service or sale of a commodity described therein, may not to that extent be deemed a corporation whose properties are assessed under ORS 308.505 (Definitions for ORS 308.505 to 308.681) to 308.681 (Annual report to legislature on ORS 308.677).
(5) The department shall assess property owned, leased or occupied by a legal entity not yet engaged in a business, service or sale of a commodity that is described in subsection (1) of this section if the property is intended for operation or use in the business, service or sale of the commodity. [Amended by 1955 c.735 §1; 1957 c.711 §3; 1959 c.109 §1; 1965 c.175 §1; 1973 c.102 §2; 1973 c.402 §8; 1981 c.623 §4; 1983 c.600 §1; 1987 c.601 §1; 1995 c.256 §1; 1997 c.154 §33; 1997 c.656 §2; 1999 c.223 §1; 2005 c.94 §53; 2009 c.128 §5; 2012 c.103 §1]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.