2015 ORS § 308.240¹
Description of real property
- • assessment to unknown owners
- • mistake or omission in owners name
- • error in description of property
(1) Real property may be described by giving the subdivision according to the United States survey when coincident with the boundaries thereof, or by lots, blocks and addition names, or by giving the boundaries thereof by metes and bounds, or by reference to the book and page of any public record of the county where the description may be found, or in such other manner as to cause the description to be capable of being made certain. Initial letters, abbreviations, figures, fractions and exponents, to designate the township, range, section or part of a section, or the number of any lot or block or part thereof, or any distance, course, bearing or direction, may be employed in any such description of real property.
(2) If the owner of any land is unknown, such land may be assessed to unknown owner, or unknown owners. If the property is correctly described, no assessment shall be invalidated by a mistake in the name of the owner of the real property assessed or by the omission of the name of the owner or the entry of a name other than that of the true owner. Where the name of the true owner, or the owner of record, of any parcel of real property is given, the assessment shall not be held invalid on account of any error or irregularity in the description if the description would be sufficient in a deed of conveyance from the owner, or is such that, in an action to enforce a contract to convey employing such description, a court with jurisdiction to grant equitable remedies would hold it to be good and sufficient.
(3) Any description of real property which conforms substantially to the requirements of this section shall be a sufficient description and designation in all proceedings of assessment for taxation, levy and collection of taxes, foreclosure and sale for delinquent taxes or assessments, and in any other proceeding related to or connected with the taxation of such property. [Amended by 1957 c.324 §5; 1979 c.284 §135; 1993 c.19 §7]