Claiming homestead exemption
- • alternative procedures following death of person qualifying for exemption
(1) Each person qualifying for the exemption under ORS 307.286 (Homestead exemption) shall file with the county assessor, on forms supplied by the assessor, a claim in writing on or before August 1 following the end of the tax year for which the exemption is claimed.
(2) The claim shall set out the basis of the claim and designate the property to which the exemption may apply. Claims for exemptions under ORS 307.286 (Homestead exemption) shall include a statement by the claimant under oath or affirmation setting forth the basis for eligibility for the exemption. The claim shall also include an affidavit or affirmation of the claimant that the statements contained therein are true.
(3) Notwithstanding subsection (1) of this section and ORS 307.286 (Homestead exemption) (1), an individual described in ORS 307.286 (Homestead exemption) (1) who applies prior to the date on which service begins shall be allowed the exemption if the claimant has written orders that require the performance of service for at least one day during the tax year for which the exemption is being claimed and the claimant is otherwise eligible for the exemption.
(4)(a) Notwithstanding subsection (1) of this section and ORS 307.286 (Homestead exemption) (1), an individual who is lawfully occupying the homestead of the qualifying person may file a claim for the exemption under ORS 307.286 (Homestead exemption) by the time prescribed in subsection (1) of this section if the qualifying person died while performing the service described in ORS 307.286 (Homestead exemption) (1)(b)(A) during the current or prior tax year.
(b) The claim shall be allowed by the county assessor if the qualifying person met all of the qualifications for an exemption under ORS 307.286 (Homestead exemption) prior to death, other than the number of consecutive days of service.
(5) If taxes on the exempt value have been paid, the taxes shall be refunded in the manner prescribed in subsection (6) of this section. If taxes on the exempt value have not been paid, the taxes and any interest thereon shall be abated.
(6) The tax collector shall notify the governing body of the county of any refund required under this section and the governing body shall cause a refund of the taxes and any interest paid to be made from the unsegregated tax collections account described in ORS 311.385 (Deposit of property tax moneys in unsegregated tax collections account). The refund under this subsection shall be made without interest. The county assessor and tax collector shall make the necessary corrections in the records of their offices. [2005 c.520 §4; 2007 c.604 §2]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.