Property of nonprofit corporation providing housing to elderly persons
- • necessity of filing claim to secure exemption
(1) Upon compliance with this section, whenever a corporation, as described in ORS 307.375 (Type of corporation to which exemption under ORS 307.370 applicable), is receiving or has received any federal or state financial assistance, such as a loan, mortgage insurance, aid to construction, rent supplement or otherwise, under the following federal or state laws, the property owned or being purchased by that corporation in actual use for corporate purposes or in the process of construction for use for corporate purposes on January 1 of the assessment year is exempt from ad valorem taxation:
(a) Section 202 of Title II of the National Housing Act (12 U.S.C. 1701q).
(b) Section 236 of the National Housing Act (12 U.S.C. 1715z-1).
(c) Section 231 of Title II of the National Housing Act (12 U.S.C. 1715v).
(d) Section 101 of Title I of the National Housing Act (12 U.S.C. 1701s) or section 8 of Title II of the National Housing Act (42 U.S.C. 1437f), providing rent supplement or housing assistance payments.
(e) ORS 456.515 (Definitions for ORS 456.515 to 456.725 and ORS chapter 458) to 456.725 (Discrimination against purchaser with children prohibited) and 458.505 (Community action agency network as delivery system for federal antipoverty programs) to 458.515 (Oregon Housing Stability Council to advise and assist department regarding low income home energy assistance).
(2) A corporation claiming the exemption under subsection (1) of this section shall file with the county assessor, on forms prescribed by the Department of Revenue and supplied by the assessor, a written claim therefor in duplicate on or before April 1 of each assessment year for which the exemption is claimed. If the claim for any year is not filed within the time specified, the exemption may not be allowed on the assessment roll for that year. In addition to any other matters prescribed by the Department of Revenue to be contained in or accompany the claim, the claim shall:
(a) Declare or be accompanied by a declaration that the corporation meets the requirements of ORS 307.375 (Type of corporation to which exemption under ORS 307.370 applicable) and that the property meets the requirements of ORS 307.243 (Property to which exemption applies) (1);
(b) Describe or be accompanied by a description of the federal financial assistance the corporation is receiving or has received;
(c) Contain or be accompanied by a statement showing in detail the sources and amounts of all income received by the corporation and the basis for rental amounts charged for occupancy of the facilities; and
(d) Be signed by the taxpayer subject to the penalties for false swearing.
(3) Notwithstanding subsection (2) of this section:
(a) If the property qualifies for exemption on or after March 1 and before July 1, the claim may be filed within 30 days after the date of qualification.
(b) A statement may be filed under this section at any time prior to September 15 of the assessment year for which exemption is first desired. However, any statement filed after the time for filing the statement specified in subsection (2) of this section, unless filed under paragraph (a) of this subsection, must be accompanied by a late filing fee of the greater of $200 or one-tenth of one percent of the real market value of the property to which the statement pertains, as determined as of January 1 of the assessment year by the assessor for this purpose. If the statement is not accompanied by the late filing fee or if the late filing fee is not otherwise paid, no exemption shall be allowed for the year based upon a statement filed pursuant to this subsection. A statement may be filed under this section notwithstanding that there are no grounds for hardship as required for late filing under ORS 307.475 (Hardship relief for failure to file for exemption, cancellation of assessment or redetermination of value). The value of the property used to determine the late filing fee under this section is appealable in the same manner as other acts of the county assessor. Any filing fee collected under this section shall be deposited to the county general fund to be made available for county general governmental expenses.
(4) The assessor shall act upon the claim and shall approve or reject it, noting the action of the assessor upon both the original and the duplicate copies. The duplicate copy therefor shall be returned to the claimant.
(5) The Department of Revenue shall furnish to a county assessor, upon the request of the county assessor, a statement certifying the qualification or nonqualification of a corporation under ORS 307.375 (Type of corporation to which exemption under ORS 307.370 applicable) and this section based upon the corporation’s claim under this section.
(6) Residents of a facility of a corporation exempt from taxation under this section are not entitled to the tax benefits of ORS 307.370 (Property of nonprofit homes for elderly persons) to 307.385 (Credit to resident’s account with share of tax exemption). [1977 c.411 §2; 1987 c.372 §1; 1987 c.756 §18; 1989 c.803 §13; 1991 c.459 §50; 1995 c.300 §2; 1997 c.170 §21; 1997 c.541 §110; 1999 c.579 §2; 2001 c.114 §14; 2001 c.753 §22; 2003 c.46 §12]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.