General supervision over property tax system
- • correction of assessment or tax rolls
(1) The Department of Revenue shall exercise general supervision and control over the system of property taxation throughout the state. The department may do any act or give any order to any public officer or employee that the department deems necessary in the administration of the property tax laws so that all properties are taxed or are exempted from taxation according to the statutes and Constitutions of the State of Oregon and of the United States. Among other acts or orders deemed necessary by the department in exercising its supervisory powers, the department may order the correction of clerical errors, errors in valuation or the correction of any other kind of error or omission in an assessment or tax roll as provided under subsections (2) to (4) of this section.
(2) The department may order a change or correction to the assessment or tax roll for the current tax year applicable to all real or personal property of the same class or in the same area if the order of the department is mailed not later than October 15 of the current tax year.
(3) The department may order a change or correction applicable to a separate assessment of property to the assessment or tax roll for the current tax year and for either of the two tax years immediately preceding the current tax year if for the year to which the change or correction is applicable the department discovers reason to correct the roll which, in its discretion, it deems necessary to conform the roll to applicable law without regard to any failure to exercise a right of appeal.
(4) Before ordering a change or correction to the assessment or tax roll under subsection (3) of this section, the department may determine whether any of the conditions specified in subsection (3) of this section exist in a particular case. If the department determines that one of the conditions specified does exist, the department shall hold a conference to determine whether to order a change or correction in the roll.
(5) For purposes of this section, "current tax year" means the tax year in which the need for the change or correction is brought to the attention of the department.
(6) The remedies provided under this section are in addition to all other remedies provided by law. [1983 c.605 §1; 1985 c.613 §18; 1987 c.656 §1; 1989 c.171 §42; 1991 c.5 §20; 1991 c.459 §32; 1995 c.650 §66; 1997 c.541 §89]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.