Distribution of damages
(1) Upon settlement of a claim, or recovery of judgment in an action, for damages for wrongful death, by the personal representative of a decedent under ORS 30.020 (Action for wrongful death), the amount of damages so accepted or recovered shall be distributed in the manner prescribed in this section.
(2) The personal representative shall make payment or reimbursement for costs, expenses and fees incurred in prosecution or enforcement of the claim, action or judgment, including fees paid to the personal representative of the decedent attributable to the wrongful death claim under ORS 116.173 (Compensation of personal representative) (1)(e).
(3) The personal representative shall make payment or reimbursement for reasonable charges necessarily incurred for doctors services, hospital services, nursing services or other medical services, burial services and memorial services rendered for the decedent.
(4) If under ORS 30.040 (Apportionment among dependents upon settlement) or 30.050 (Apportionment among dependents after judgment) or by agreement of the beneficiaries a portion of the damages so accepted or recovered is apportioned to a beneficiary as recovery for loss described in ORS 30.020 (Action for wrongful death) (2)(d), the personal representative shall distribute that portion to the beneficiary.
(5) The remainder of damages accepted or recovered shall be distributed to the beneficiaries in the proportions prescribed under the laws of intestate succession of the state of decedents domicile, or as agreed by the beneficiaries, but no such damages shall be subject to payment of taxes or claims against the decedents estate. [Amended by 1973 c.718 §3; 2009 c.51 §1; 2019 c.166 §11]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information