Form of retainage
- • procedures for holding and payment
(1) Unless a contracting agency that reserves an amount as retainage under ORS 279C.570 (Prompt payment policy) (7) finds in writing that accepting a bond or instrument described in paragraph (a) or (b) of this subsection poses an extraordinary risk that is not typically associated with the bond or instrument, the contracting agency in lieu of withholding moneys from payment shall accept from a contractor:
(a) Bonds, securities or other instruments of a character described in subsection (6) of this section that are deposited as provided in subsection (4) of this section; or
(b) A surety bond deposited as provided in subsection (7) of this section.
(2) A contracting agency that holds moneys as retainage under ORS 279C.570 (Prompt payment policy) (7) shall:
(a) Hold the moneys in a fund and pay the moneys to the contractor in accordance with ORS 279C.570 (Prompt payment policy); or
(b) At the election of the contractor, pay the moneys to the contractor in accordance with subsection (4) or (5) of this section and in a manner authorized by the Director of the Oregon Department of Administrative Services.
(3) If the contracting agency incurs additional costs as a result of the exercise of an option described in subsection (1) or (5) of this section, the contracting agency may recover the costs from the contractor by reducing the final payment. As work on the contract progresses, the contracting agency shall, upon demand, inform the contractor of all accrued costs.
(4) The contractor may deposit bonds, securities or other instruments with the contracting agency or in a bank or trust company for the contracting agency to hold for the contracting agency’s benefit in lieu of moneys held as retainage. If the contracting agency accepts bonds, securities or other instruments deposited as provided in this subsection, the contracting agency shall reduce the moneys held as retainage in an amount equal to the value of the bonds, securities and other instruments and pay the amount of the reduction to the contractor in accordance with ORS 279C.570 (Prompt payment policy). Interest or earnings on the bonds, securities or other instruments shall accrue to the contractor.
(5) If the contractor elects, the contracting agency shall deposit the retainage as accumulated in an interest-bearing account in a bank, savings bank, trust company or savings association for the benefit of the contracting agency. When the contracting agency is a state contracting agency, the account must be established through the State Treasurer. Earnings on the account accrue to the contractor.
(6) Bonds, securities and other instruments deposited or acquired in lieu of retainage, as permitted by this section, must be of a character approved by the Director of the Oregon Department of Administrative Services, including but not limited to:
(a) Bills, certificates, notes or bonds of the United States.
(b) Other obligations of the United States or agencies of the United States.
(c) Obligations of a corporation wholly owned by the federal government.
(d) Indebtedness of the Federal National Mortgage Association.
(e) General obligation bonds of the State of Oregon or a political subdivision of the State of Oregon.
(f) Irrevocable letters of credit issued by an insured institution, as defined in ORS 706.008 (Additional definitions for Bank Act).
(7) The contractor, with the approval of the contracting agency, may deposit a surety bond for all or any portion of the amount of funds retained, or to be retained, by the contracting agency in a form acceptable to the contracting agency. The bond and any proceeds of the bond must be made subject to all claims and liens and in the same manner and priority as set forth for retainage under ORS 279C.550 (“Retainage” defined) to 279C.570 (Prompt payment policy) and 279C.600 (Right of action on payment bond or public works bond of contractor or subcontractor) to 279C.625 (Joint liability when payment bond not executed). The contracting agency shall reduce the moneys the contracting agency holds as retainage in an amount equal to the value of the bond and pay the amount of the reduction to the contractor in accordance with ORS 279C.570 (Prompt payment policy). Whenever a contracting agency accepts a surety bond from a contractor in lieu of retainage, the contractor shall accept like bonds from a subcontractor or supplier from which the contractor has retainage. The contractor shall then reduce the moneys the contractor holds as retainage in an amount equal to the value of the bond and pay the amount of the reduction to the subcontractor or supplier. [2003 c.794 §148; 2009 c.568 §1]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.