ORS 25.240¹
Order to pay support by parent with legal custody of minor

Notwithstanding any other law, when a court or the administrator has the authority under ORS chapter 107, 108, 109 or 110 or ORS 25.501 (Definitions for ORS 25.501 to 25.556) to 25.556 (Expeditious court hearings), 419B.400 (Authority to order support) to 419B.406 (Assignment of support order to state) or 419C.590 (Authority of court to order support), 419C.592 (Support order is judgment and final) and 419C.597 (Assignment of support obligation to state) to require a parent without legal custody to pay support for a minor child, the court or administrator may require a parent with legal custody to pay support for the child as long as that parent does not have physical custody of the child or is not providing the child with the necessities of life, including but not limited to lodging, food and clothing. [1985 c.610 §11; 1993 c.33 §368; 1995 c.608 §28; 2001 c.455 §5; 2019 c.13 §13]

Notes of Decisions

Ability of court to order child support by parent having legal custody “as long as that parent does not have physical custody” applies to shared custody arrange­ments. Greenfield and Greenfield, 130 Or App 632, 883 P2d 253 (1994)

Law Review Cita­tions

69 OLR 689 (1990)

1 Legislative Counsel Committee, CHAPTER 25—Support Enforcement, https://­www.­oregonlegislature.­gov/­bills_laws/­ors/­ors025.­html (2019) (last ac­cessed May 16, 2020).
2 Legislative Counsel Committee, Annotations to the Oregon Revised Stat­utes, Cumulative Supplement - 2019, Chapter 25, https://­www.­oregonlegislature.­gov/­bills_laws/­ors/­ano025.­html (2019) (last ac­cessed May 16, 2020).
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information