Filling vacancy in state office at general election
- • remaining term of office
(1) If a vacancy occurs in a state office before the 61st day before the first general election to be held during that term of office, the remaining two years of the term of the state office shall be filled by the electors at that general election.
(2) The remaining two years of the term of the state office shall commence on the second Monday in January following the general election. Any appointment made to fill the vacancy shall expire when a successor to the office is elected and qualified.
(3) Candidates for the remaining two years of the term of the state office under this section shall be nominated as provided in this chapter except as follows:
(a) A major political party or a minor political party, by party rule, or an assembly of electors or individual electors, may select a nominee; and
(b) The Secretary of State shall accept certificates of nomination and notifications of nominees filed with the secretary pursuant to a schedule for filing set by the secretary, but in any case not later than the 62nd day before the first general election.
(4) As used in this section, “state office” means the office of Governor, Secretary of State, State Treasurer, Attorney General and Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor and Industries. [2009 c.511 §22; 2011 c.731 §12]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.