Contents of petition or declaration
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, a nominating petition or declaration of candidacy shall contain:
(a) The name by which the candidate is commonly known. A candidate may use a nickname in parentheses in connection with the candidate’s full name.
(b) Address information as required by the Secretary of State by rule.
(c) The office and department or position number, if any, for which the candidate seeks nomination.
(d) If the candidate is seeking the nomination of a major political party, the name of the major political party of which the candidate will have been a member, subject to the exceptions stated in ORS 249.046 (Party membership required for nomination of party), during at least 180 days before the deadline for filing a nominating petition or declaration of candidacy.
(e) A statement that the candidate is willing to accept the nomination or election or, regarding a candidate for precinct committeeperson, that the candidate accepts the office if elected.
(f) A statement that the candidate will qualify if elected.
(g) If the candidate is seeking the nomination of a major political party, a statement that the candidate, if not nominated, will not accept the nomination or endorsement of any political party other than the one of which the candidate is a member on the date the petition or declaration is filed.
(h) The signature of the candidate.
(i) A statement of the candidate’s occupation, educational and occupational background and prior governmental experience.
(2) Subsection (1)(i) of this section does not apply to a candidate for election as a precinct committeeperson.
(3) The Secretary of State shall ensure that the templates for a nominating petition or declaration of candidacy provide the candidate with the option to provide the candidate’s race and ethnicity.
(4) A declaration of candidacy shall include a statement that the required fee is included with the declaration.
(5) If required by the national rules of the major political party, the declaration of a candidate for election as a precinct committeeperson shall include the name of the individual the candidate supports for President of the United States or “uncommitted” or “no preference.” [1957 c.608 §68; 1961 c.336 §1; 1961 c.667 §5; 1969 c.245 §1; 1975 c.779 §18; 1979 c.190 §104; 1981 c.173 §20; 1983 c.7 §1; 1983 c.567 §5; 1989 c.1054 §14; 1991 c.87 §3; 1991 c.719 §5; 1995 c.607 §15; 2009 c.11 §21; 2019 c.449 §7]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.