Definitions for ORS 243.860 to 243.886
As used in ORS 243.860 (Definitions for ORS 243.860 to 243.886) to 243.886 (Limitations on district participation in benefit plans), unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) “Benefit plan” includes but is not limited to:
(a) Contracts for insurance or other benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life, disability and other health care recognized by state law, and related services and supplies;
(b) Self-insurance programs managed by the Oregon Educators Benefit Board; and
(c) Comparable benefits for employees who rely on spiritual means of healing.
(2) “Carrier” means an insurance company or health care service contractor holding a valid certificate of authority from the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services, or two or more companies or contractors acting together pursuant to a joint venture, partnership or other joint means of operation, or a board-approved provider or guarantor of benefit plan coverage and compensation.
(3) “District” means a common school district, a union high school district, an education service district, as defined in ORS 334.003 (Definitions for chapter), or a community college district, as defined in ORS 341.005 (Definitions for chapter).
(4)(a) “Eligible employee” includes:
(B) An officer or employee of a district or a local government, whether or not retired, who:
(i) Is receiving a service retirement allowance, a disability retirement allowance or a pension under the Public Employees Retirement System or is receiving a service retirement allowance, a disability retirement allowance or a pension under any other retirement or disability benefit plan or system offered by the district or local government for its officers and employees;
(ii) Is eligible to receive a service retirement allowance under the Public Employees Retirement System and has reached earliest service retirement age under ORS chapter 238;
(iii) Is eligible to receive a pension under ORS 238A.100 (Establishing membership under pension program) to 238A.250 (Option of legislators to receive certain benefits) and has reached earliest retirement age as described in ORS 238A.165 (Earliest retirement age); or
(iv) Is eligible to receive a service retirement allowance or pension under any other retirement benefit plan or system offered by the district or local government and has attained earliest retirement age under the plan or system.
(b) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(B) of this subsection, “eligible employee” does not include an individual:
(A) Engaged as an independent contractor;
(B) Whose periods of employment in emergency work are on an intermittent or irregular basis; or
(C) Who is employed on less than a half-time basis unless the individual is employed in a position classified as a job-sharing position or unless the individual is defined as eligible under rules of the Oregon Educators Benefit Board or under a collective bargaining agreement.
(5) “Family member” means an eligible employee’s spouse or domestic partner and any unmarried child or stepchild of an eligible employee within age limits and other conditions imposed by the Oregon Educators Benefit Board with regard to unmarried children or stepchildren.
(6) “Local government” means any city, county or special district in this state.
(7) “Payroll disbursing officer” means the officer or official authorized to disburse moneys in payment of salaries and wages of officers and employees of a district or a local government.
(8) “Premium” means the monthly or other periodic charge, including administrative fees of the Oregon Educators Benefit Board, for a benefit plan.
(9) “Primary care” means family medicine, general internal medicine, naturopathic medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics or general psychiatry.
(10) “Total medical expenditures” means payments to reimburse the cost of physical and mental health care provided to eligible employees or their family members, excluding prescription drugs, vision care and dental care, whether paid on a fee-for-service basis or as part of a capitated rate or other type of payment mechanism. [2007 c.7 §1; 2013 c.731 §15; 2017 c.489 §10]
Note: 243.860 (Definitions for ORS 243.860 to 243.886) to 243.886 (Limitations on district participation in benefit plans) were enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but were not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 243 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.