Retirement credit for periods of disability
(1) A member of the Public Employees Retirement System who receives a disability retirement allowance or disability payments under ORS chapter 656 shall receive retirement credit for the period during which the member receives the disability retirement allowance or disability payments if the member receives the allowance or payments by reason of injury or disease sustained while in actual performance of duty and not intentionally self-inflicted.
(2) A member of the Public Employees Retirement System who receives a disability retirement allowance or disability payments under ORS chapter 656 by reason of injury or disease that was not sustained while in actual performance of duty and that was not intentionally self-inflicted shall receive retirement credit for all or part of the period during which the member receives the disability retirement allowance or disability payments if the member, within 90 days before the effective date of retirement of the member, applies in writing to the Public Employees Retirement Board for that retirement credit and pays to the board in a lump sum an amount determined by the board to represent the full cost to the system of providing the retirement credit to the member, including all administrative costs incurred by the system in processing the application for acquisition of the retirement credit.
(3) A member may acquire retirement credit under the provisions of this section for the purposes of calculating a service retirement allowance only if the member returns to employment with a participating public employer after the period of disability.
(4) A member may not acquire retirement credit under the provisions of this section for a period of time that is in excess of the period of time used in calculating the disability retirement allowance paid to the member under ORS 238.320 (Disability retirement allowance) during the period of disability for which the member seeks credit. For the purposes of this subsection, the retirement credit that may be acquired by a police officer or firefighter who elects to receive the optional, service-connected disability retirement allowance provided for under ORS 238.345 (Optional service-connected disability retirement allowance for police officers and firefighters) shall be determined as though the police officer or firefighter had received a disability retirement allowance calculated under ORS 238.320 (Disability retirement allowance).
(5) Retirement credit acquired under this section may be used for the purpose of establishing eligibility under ORS 238.115 (Alternate method of restoring credit forfeited by reason of termination of membership), 238.125 (Credit for probationary period of employment) or 238.135 (Credit for probationary periods in seasonal positions) or any other provision of this chapter that requires a specified number of years of creditable service.
(6) Retirement credit under this section may be acquired only for periods occurring on or after January 1, 1985, during which a member receives a disability retirement allowance or disability payments under ORS chapter 656. [1997 c.648 §2; 2003 c.105 §4]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.