Extension of federal Social Security benefits to employees of state and certain political subdivisions
(1) The Public Employees Retirement Board hereby is authorized and directed to enter into an agreement or modification of such agreement with the Federal Security Administrator (United States Secretary of Health and Human Services) on behalf of the State of Oregon, consistent with the terms and provisions of ORS 237.412 (Declaration of policy regarding federal Social Security protection for employees of state and political subdivisions) to 237.418 (Authority of interstate agencies to extend federal Social Security benefits to their employees), for the purpose of extending the benefits of the Federal Old Age and Survivors Insurance system to employees of the state and the political subdivisions which at the time of repeal of chapter 401, Oregon Laws 1945, were participating in the Public Employees Retirement System established by that chapter. The board may authorize its director, on behalf of and in the name of the board, to sign modifications of the agreement including within the agreement legally qualified eligible public agencies.
(2) The agreement shall provide benefits for employees whose services are covered by the agreement (and their dependents and survivors) on the same basis as though such services constituted employment within the meaning of title 2 of the Social Security Act.
(3) The duties and obligations of the state and its political subdivisions as employers, in relation to such agreement, shall be as provided by ORS 237.420 (Agreements to extend federal Social Security coverage to employees of public agencies not covered by ORS 237.414) to 237.515 (Exclusion of contributions from biennial budget).
(4) Such agreement or modification thereof shall be effective with respect to services performed after an effective date specified in such agreement or modification, but in no case prior to January 1, 1951.
(5) All services which:
(a) Constitute employment within the meaning of title 2 of the Social Security Act;
(b) Are performed in the employ of the state or a political subdivision or in the employ of an instrumentality of either the state or a political subdivision, or both; and
(c) Are covered by a plan which is in conformity with the terms of the agreement and which has been approved by the board, shall be covered by the agreement.
(6) The Public Employees Retirement Board hereby is authorized and directed to include in the agreement for Old Age and Survivors Insurance coverage to be executed by the board with the Federal Security Administrator (United States Secretary of Health and Human Services) in conformance with this section, the elective officers of the political subdivisions described in subsection (1) of this section, and the elective officers of the State of Oregon. [1953 c.180 §12; 1953 c.193 §1; 1957 c.261 §1; 1967 c.38 §4; 1973 c.704 §14; 1981 c.683 §1; 1991 c.67 §51 and 1991 c.813 §6; 2001 c.104 §73]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.