Resignation of office effective at future date
- • selection of successor
- • exception
Notwithstanding any other provision of law:
(1) The holder of a public office may resign the office effective at a future date that is prior to the expiration of the term of the office.
(2) Any person who receives a certificate of election as a holder of a public office, even though the person may not have entered upon the execution of its duties or taken the requisite oath of office, may resign the office effective at a future date that is:
(a) Prior to the beginning of the term of the office; or
(b) After the beginning of the term of the office.
(3) Except where an election is required by law, if the holder of a public office or a person who receives a certificate of election as a holder of a public office resigns the office effective at a future date, the appointing authority required by law to fill a vacancy in the public office may begin the process to fill the vacancy and may select a successor prior to the effective date of any resignation under this section.
(4) The appointing authority may appoint a successor to fill a vacancy in the public office at any time after the effective date of a resignation described in this section. This subsection does not apply where a person who receives a certificate of election as a holder of a public office resigns prior to the beginning of the term of office and an incumbent still holds the public office.
(5) A resignation is binding unless withdrawn in writing by the end of the third business day after the resignation is made.
(6) Where the effective date of a resignation is 21 or more calendar days before the deadline for filing a nominating petition, declaration of candidacy or certificate of nomination necessary to fill the office at the general election next following the effective date of the resignation, and the deadline for withdrawing the resignation has passed, the filing officer for the office shall accept filings of nominating petitions, declarations of candidacy and certificates of nomination and the vacancy shall be filled at the general election next following the effective date of the vacancy.
(7) This section does not apply to the office of Governor. [1991 c.719 §39; 1995 c.607 §68; 2005 c.797 §30]
Note: 236.325 (Resignation of office effective at future date) was enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but was not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 236 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.