Cancellation of agreement to buy interest in subdivision or series partition
- • procedure
- • effect
- • waiver
- • exemptions
(1) A purchaser of a lot, parcel or interest in a subdivision or series partition may cancel, for any reason, any contract, agreement or any evidence of indebtedness associated with the sale of the lot, parcel or interest in the subdivision or series partition within three business days from the date of signing by the purchaser of the first written offer or contract to purchase.
(2) Cancellation, under subsection (1) of this section, occurs when the purchaser of a lot, parcel or interest gives written notice to the seller at the seller’s address. The three business days cancellation period in subsection (1) of this section does not begin until the seller provides the purchaser with seller’s address for cancellation purposes.
(3) A notice of cancellation given by a purchaser of a lot, parcel or interest in a subdivision or series partition need not take a particular form and is sufficient if it indicates by any form of written expression the intention of the purchaser not to be bound by the contract or evidence of indebtedness.
(4) Notice of cancellation, if given by mail, shall be given by certified mail, return receipt requested, and is effective on the date that such notice is deposited with the United States Postal Service, properly addressed and postage prepaid.
(5) Upon receipt of a timely notice of cancellation, the seller shall immediately return to the purchaser all payments received from the purchaser. In case of payments made by check, the seller is not required to return the payment to a purchaser until the check is finally paid as provided in ORS 74.2130 (Medium and time of settlement by bank). Upon return of all such payments the purchaser shall immediately transfer the purchaser’s rights in the lot, parcel or interest to the seller, not subject to any encumbrance created or suffered by the purchaser. In the case of cancellation by a purchaser of any evidence of indebtedness, the purchaser shall return the purchaser’s copy of the executed evidence of indebtedness to the seller, and the seller shall cancel the evidence of indebtedness. Any encumbrances against the purchaser’s interest in the lot, parcel or interest arising by operation of law from an obligation of the purchaser existing prior to transfer of the lot, parcel or interest to the purchaser shall be extinguished by the reconveyance.
(6) An act of a purchaser is not effective to waive the right of cancellation granted by subsection (1) of this section. A subdivider, series partitioner or developer may require that a purchaser of a lot, parcel or interest in a subdivision or series partition execute and deliver to the subdivider, series partitioner or developer, after the expiration of the three-day cancellation period, a signed statement disclaiming any notice of cancellation that may have been made by the purchaser prior to expiration of the three-day cancellation period for the offer under subsection (1) of this section, that may have been timely and properly done under this section and that has not been received by the subdivider, series partitioner or developer. In case of execution of any such statement by the purchaser, the statement shall be sufficient to rescind the notice of cancellation.
(7) This section does not apply to:
(a) The sale of a lot in a subdivision or a parcel in a series partition that has a residential dwelling upon it at the time of sale;
(b) The sale of a lot in a subdivision or a parcel in a series partition when, at the time of sale, the seller has contracted with the purchaser to build a residential dwelling upon the lot or parcel; or
(c) The sale of a lot in a subdivision or a parcel in a series partition to a person who derives a substantial portion of income from the development or purchase and sale of real property.
(8) Notwithstanding subsection (7) of this section, this section applies to a planned community subdivision of manufactured dwellings created under ORS 92.830 (Definitions for ORS 92.830 to 92.845) to 92.845 (Relationship of subdivision in manufactured dwelling park or mobile home park to planned community statutes and series partition statutes). [1975 c.643 §16; 1983 c.570 §20; 2001 c.711 §6; 2003 c.474 §4]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.