As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Accessory building or structure" means any portable, demountable or permanent structure, including but not limited to cabanas, ramadas, storage sheds, garages, awnings, carports, decks, steps, ramps, piers and pilings, that is:
(a) Owned and used solely by a tenant of a manufactured dwelling or floating home; or
(b) Provided pursuant to a written rental agreement for the sole use of and maintenance by a tenant of a manufactured dwelling or floating home.
(2) "Action" includes recoupment, counterclaim, setoff, suit in equity and any other proceeding in which rights are determined, including an action for possession.
(3) "Applicant screening charge" means any payment of money required by a landlord of an applicant prior to entering into a rental agreement with that applicant for a residential dwelling unit, the purpose of which is to pay the cost of processing an application for a rental agreement for a residential dwelling unit.
(4) "Building and housing codes" includes any law, ordinance or governmental regulation concerning fitness for habitation, or the construction, maintenance, operation, occupancy, use or appearance of any premises or dwelling unit.
(5) "Conduct" means the commission of an act or the failure to act.
(6) "Dealer" means any person in the business of selling, leasing or distributing new or used manufactured dwellings or floating homes to persons who purchase or lease a manufactured dwelling or floating home for use as a residence.
(7) "Domestic violence" means:
(a) Abuse between family or household members, as those terms are defined in ORS 107.705 (Definitions for ORS 107.700 to 107.735); or
(b) Abuse, as defined in ORS 107.705 (Definitions for ORS 107.700 to 107.735), between partners in a dating relationship.
(8) "Drug and alcohol free housing" means a dwelling unit described in ORS 90.243 (Qualifications for drug and alcohol free housing).
(9) "Dwelling unit" means a structure or the part of a structure that is used as a home, residence or sleeping place by one person who maintains a household or by two or more persons who maintain a common household. "Dwelling unit" regarding a person who rents a space for a manufactured dwelling or recreational vehicle or regarding a person who rents moorage space for a floating home as defined in ORS 830.700 (Definitions for ORS 830.060 to 830.145 and 830.700 to 830.870), but does not rent the home, means the space rented and not the manufactured dwelling, recreational vehicle or floating home itself.
(10) "Essential service" means:
(a) For a tenancy not consisting of rental space for a manufactured dwelling, floating home or recreational vehicle owned by the tenant and not otherwise subject to ORS 90.505 (Definition for ORS 90.505 to 90.840) to 90.840 (Park purchase funds, loans):
(A) Heat, plumbing, hot and cold running water, gas, electricity, light fixtures, locks for exterior doors, latches for windows and any cooking appliance or refrigerator supplied or required to be supplied by the landlord; and
(B) Any other service or habitability obligation imposed by the rental agreement or ORS 90.320 (Landlord to maintain premises in habitable condition), the lack or violation of which creates a serious threat to the tenant’s health, safety or property or makes the dwelling unit unfit for occupancy.
(b) For a tenancy consisting of rental space for a manufactured dwelling, floating home or recreational vehicle owned by the tenant or that is otherwise subject to ORS 90.505 (Definition for ORS 90.505 to 90.840) to 90.840 (Park purchase funds, loans):
(A) Sewage disposal, water supply, electrical supply and, if required by applicable law, any drainage system; and
(B) Any other service or habitability obligation imposed by the rental agreement or ORS 90.730 (Landlord duty to maintain rented space, vacant spaces and common areas in habitable condition), the lack or violation of which creates a serious threat to the tenant’s health, safety or property or makes the rented space unfit for occupancy.
(11) "Facility" means a manufactured dwelling park or a marina.
(12) "Facility purchase association" means a group of three or more tenants who reside in a facility and have organized for the purpose of eventual purchase of the facility.
(13) "Fee" means a nonrefundable payment of money.
(14) "First class mail" does not include certified or registered mail, or any other form of mail that may delay or hinder actual delivery of mail to the recipient.
(15) "Fixed term tenancy" means a tenancy that has a fixed term of existence, continuing to a specific ending date and terminating on that date without requiring further notice to effect the termination.
(16) "Floating home" has the meaning given that term in ORS 830.700 (Definitions for ORS 830.060 to 830.145 and 830.700 to 830.870). "Floating home" includes an accessory building or structure.
(17) "Good faith" means honesty in fact in the conduct of the transaction concerned.
(18) "Hotel or motel" means "hotel" as that term is defined in ORS 699.005 (Definitions).
(19) "Informal dispute resolution" means, but is not limited to, consultation between the landlord or landlord’s agent and one or more tenants, or mediation utilizing the services of a third party.
(20) "Landlord" means the owner, lessor or sublessor of the dwelling unit or the building or premises of which it is a part. "Landlord" includes a person who is authorized by the owner, lessor or sublessor to manage the premises or to enter into a rental agreement.
(21) "Landlord’s agent" means a person who has oral or written authority, either express or implied, to act for or on behalf of a landlord.
(22) "Last month’s rent deposit" means a type of security deposit, however designated, the primary function of which is to secure the payment of rent for the last month of the tenancy.
(23) "Manufactured dwelling" means a residential trailer, a mobile home or a manufactured home as those terms are defined in ORS 446.003 (Definitions for ORS 446.003 to 446.200 and 446.225 to 446.285 and ORS chapters 195, 196, 197, 215 and 227). "Manufactured dwelling" includes an accessory building or structure. "Manufactured dwelling" does not include a recreational vehicle.
(24) "Manufactured dwelling park" means a place where four or more manufactured dwellings are located, the primary purpose of which is to rent space or keep space for rent to any person for a charge or fee.
(25) "Marina" means a moorage of contiguous dwelling units that may be legally transferred as a single unit and are owned by one person where four or more floating homes are secured, the primary purpose of which is to rent space or keep space for rent to any person for a charge or fee.
(26) "Month-to-month tenancy" means a tenancy that automatically renews and continues for successive monthly periods on the same terms and conditions originally agreed to, or as revised by the parties, until terminated by one or both of the parties.
(27) "Organization" includes a corporation, government, governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, two or more persons having a joint or common interest, and any other legal or commercial entity.
(28) "Owner" includes a mortgagee in possession and means one or more persons, jointly or severally, in whom is vested:
(a) All or part of the legal title to property; or
(b) All or part of the beneficial ownership and a right to present use and enjoyment of the premises.
(29) "Person" includes an individual or organization.
(30) "Premises" means:
(a) A dwelling unit and the structure of which it is a part and facilities and appurtenances therein;
(b) Grounds, areas and facilities held out for the use of tenants generally or the use of which is promised to the tenant; and
(c) A facility for manufactured dwellings or floating homes.
(31) "Prepaid rent" means any payment of money to the landlord for a rent obligation not yet due. In addition, "prepaid rent" means rent paid for a period extending beyond a termination date.
(32) "Recreational vehicle" has the meaning given that term in ORS 446.003 (Definitions for ORS 446.003 to 446.200 and 446.225 to 446.285 and ORS chapters 195, 196, 197, 215 and 227).
(33) "Rent" means any payment to be made to the landlord under the rental agreement, periodic or otherwise, in exchange for the right of a tenant and any permitted pet to occupy a dwelling unit to the exclusion of others. "Rent" does not include security deposits, fees or utility or service charges as described in ORS 90.315 (Utility or service payments) (4) and 90.532 (Billing methods for utility or service charges).
(34) "Rental agreement" means all agreements, written or oral, and valid rules and regulations adopted under ORS 90.262 (Use and occupancy rules and regulations) or 90.510 (Statement of policy) (6) embodying the terms and conditions concerning the use and occupancy of a dwelling unit and premises. "Rental agreement" includes a lease. A rental agreement shall be either a week-to-week tenancy, month-to-month tenancy or fixed term tenancy.
(35) "Roomer" means a person occupying a dwelling unit that does not include a toilet and either a bathtub or a shower and a refrigerator, stove and kitchen, all provided by the landlord, and where one or more of these facilities are used in common by occupants in the structure.
(36) "Screening or admission criteria" means a written statement of any factors a landlord considers in deciding whether to accept or reject an applicant and any qualifications required for acceptance. "Screening or admission criteria" includes, but is not limited to, the rental history, character references, public records, criminal records, credit reports, credit references and incomes or resources of the applicant.
(37) "Security deposit" means a refundable payment or deposit of money, however designated, the primary function of which is to secure the performance of a rental agreement or any part of a rental agreement. "Security deposit" does not include a fee.
(38) "Sexual assault" has the meaning given that term in ORS 147.450 (Definitions).
(39) "Squatter" means a person occupying a dwelling unit who is not so entitled under a rental agreement or who is not authorized by the tenant to occupy that dwelling unit. "Squatter" does not include a tenant who holds over as described in ORS 90.427 (Termination of periodic tenancies) (4).
(40) "Stalking" means the behavior described in ORS 163.732 (Stalking).
(41) "Statement of policy" means the summary explanation of information and facility policies to be provided to prospective and existing tenants under ORS 90.510 (Statement of policy).
(42) "Surrender" means an agreement, express or implied, as described in ORS 90.148 (Landlord acts that imply acceptance of tenant abandonment or relinquishment of right to occupy) between a landlord and tenant to terminate a rental agreement that gave the tenant the right to occupy a dwelling unit.
(43) "Tenant" means a person, including a roomer, entitled under a rental agreement to occupy a dwelling unit to the exclusion of others, including a dwelling unit owned, operated or controlled by a public housing authority. "Tenant" also includes a minor, as defined and provided for in ORS 109.697 (Right to contract for dwelling unit and utilities without parental consent). As used in ORS 90.505 (Definition for ORS 90.505 to 90.840) to 90.840 (Park purchase funds, loans), "tenant" includes only a person who owns and occupies as a residence a manufactured dwelling or a floating home in a facility and persons residing with that tenant under the terms of the rental agreement.
(44) "Transient lodging" means a room or a suite of rooms.
(45) "Transient occupancy" means occupancy in transient lodging that has all of the following characteristics:
(a) Occupancy is charged on a daily basis and is not collected more than six days in advance;
(b) The lodging operator provides maid and linen service daily or every two days as part of the regularly charged cost of occupancy; and
(c) The period of occupancy does not exceed 30 days.
(46) "Vacation occupancy" means occupancy in a dwelling unit, not including transient occupancy in a hotel or motel, that has all of the following characteristics:
(a) The occupant rents the unit for vacation purposes only, not as a principal residence;
(b) The occupant has a principal residence other than at the unit; and
(c) The period of authorized occupancy does not exceed 45 days.
(47) "Victim" means:
(a) The person against whom an incident related to domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking is perpetrated; or
(b) The parent or guardian of a minor household member against whom an incident related to domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking is perpetrated, unless the parent or guardian is the perpetrator.
(48) "Week-to-week tenancy" means a tenancy that has all of the following characteristics:
(a) Occupancy is charged on a weekly basis and is payable no less frequently than every seven days;
(b) There is a written rental agreement that defines the landlord’s and the tenant’s rights and responsibilities under this chapter; and
(c) There are no fees or security deposits, although the landlord may require the payment of an applicant screening charge, as provided in ORS 90.295 (Applicant screening charge). [Formerly 91.705; 1991 c.844 §3; 1993 c.369 §1; 1995 c.324 §1; 1995 c.559 §1; 1997 c.577 §1; 1999 c.676 §§7,7a; 2001 c.596 §27; 2003 c.378 §8; 2005 c.22 §57; 2005 c.41 §1; 2005 c.619 §15; 2007 c.508 §7; 2007 c.906 §6]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information