Bond, letter of credit or deposit of money to discharge lien on chattel
- • amount
- • recording
- • notice to lien claimant
(1) The owner of a chattel subject to a lien created by ORS 87.216 (Nonpossessory lien for labor or material expended on chattel) to 87.232 (Fishing lien and fish worker's lien), or any other interested person, may file with the recording officer of the county in whose office the claim of lien is filed a bond executed by a corporation authorized to issue surety bonds in the State of Oregon to the effect that the owner of the chattel against which the lien is claimed shall pay the amount of the claim and all costs and attorney fees which are awarded against the chattel on account of the lien. The bond shall be in an amount not less than 150 percent of the amount claimed under the lien, and must be filed prior to the commencement of a foreclosure proceeding by the lien claimant.
(2)(a) In lieu of the surety bond provided for in subsection (1) of this section, a person may deposit with the treasurer of the county in which the claim for lien is filed an irrevocable letter of credit issued by an insured institution, as defined in ORS 706.008 (Additional definitions for Bank Act), or a sum of money or its equivalent equal in value to 150 percent of the amount claimed under the lien.
(b) When a person deposits money or an irrevocable letter of credit with the treasurer of a county under this subsection, the person shall file with the recording officer of the same county an affidavit stating that the deposit was made.
(3) When a bond is filed under subsection (1) of this section or an irrevocable letter of credit or money deposited and an affidavit filed under subsection (2) of this section, the recording officer shall issue to the owner or other person a certificate stating that the bond, irrevocable letter of credit or money is substituted for the chattel and that the lien on the chattel is discharged. A marginal entry of the discharge and bond, irrevocable letter of credit or money shall be made in the index of liens on chattels containing the original record of the claim of lien.
(4) When a bond is filed under subsection (1) of this section, or money or an irrevocable letter of credit is deposited under subsection (2) of this section, the owner or other person filing the bond or depositing the money or an irrevocable letter of credit shall promptly send a copy of the certificate received from the recording officer under subsection (3) of this section to the lien claimant by registered or certified mail sent to the lien claimant at the last-known address of the lien claimant.
(5) If the lien claimant establishes the validity of the lien claim by a suit to enforce it, the lien claimant is entitled to judgment against the sureties upon the bond, against the irrevocable letter of credit issuer or against the deposited money. [1975 c.648 §39; 1991 c.331 §17; 1997 c.631 §389; 2003 c.576 §336]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.