Disposal of vehicle appraised at $500 or less
- • rules
(1) If an abandoned vehicle is appraised at a value of $500 or less by a person who holds a certificate issued under ORS 819.480 (Vehicle appraiser certificate), the person who towed the vehicle or the authority that requested the tow, if the authority chooses to dispose of the vehicle, shall:
(a) Notify the registered owner and secured parties as provided in subsection (3) of this section;
(b) Photograph the vehicle;
(c) Notify the Department of Transportation that the vehicle will be disposed of; and
(d) Unless the vehicle is claimed by a person entitled to possession of it within 15 days of the date of notice under subsection (3) of this section, dispose of the vehicle and its contents to a person who holds a valid dismantler certificate issued under ORS 822.110 (Dismantler certificate).
(2) The authority that requests towing of an abandoned vehicle shall provide the tow company, at the time of the tow, the name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle, as shown by records of the department, and the names and addresses of any persons claiming interests in the vehicle, as shown by records of the department.
(3) The person who tows the vehicle, or the authority that requested the tow if the authority chooses to dispose of the vehicle, shall give written notice, within 48 hours of the day the vehicle was towed, to the persons whose names are furnished under subsection (2) of this section. The 48 hours shall not include Saturdays, Sundays or holidays. The notice shall state that a person entitled to possession of the vehicle has 15 days from the date the notice was mailed to claim the vehicle and that if the vehicle is not claimed, it will be disposed of as provided in this section.
(4) Disposal of a vehicle to a dismantler as provided in this section extinguishes all prior ownership and possessory rights.
(5) The department shall adopt rules specifying the form in which notification to the department required by subsection (1) of this section shall be submitted and what information shall be conveyed to the department. The person disposing of the vehicle may submit to the dismantler a copy of any notification submitted to the department under this section instead of submitting to the dismantler ownership or other title documents for the vehicle. [1993 c.326 §2; 1995 c.758 §16; 2005 c.654 §29]
Note: 819.215 (Disposal of vehicle appraised at $500 or less) was added to and made a part of ORS chapter 819 by legislative action but was not added to any smaller series therein. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information