Removal and sale of abandoned vehicle
- • general provisions
(1) After providing notice required under ORS 819.170 (Notice prior to removal) and, if requested, a hearing under ORS 819.190 (Hearing to contest validity of removal and custody), an authority described under ORS 819.140 (Agencies having authority to remove vehicles) may take a vehicle into custody and remove the vehicle if:
(a) The authority has reason to believe the vehicle is disabled or abandoned; and
(b) The vehicle has been parked or left standing upon any public way for a period in excess of 24 hours without authorization by statute or local ordinance.
(2) The authority in this section to remove and take vehicles into custody is in addition to any authority to remove and take vehicles into custody under ORS 819.120 (Immediate custody and removal of vehicle constituting hazard).
(3) Subject to ORS 819.150 (Rights and liabilities of owner), vehicles and the contents of vehicles removed and taken into custody under this section are subject to a lien as provided under ORS 819.160 (Lien for towing).
(4) An authority removing a vehicle under this section shall cause the vehicle to be appraised within a reasonable time by a person authorized to perform such appraisals under ORS 819.480 (Vehicle appraiser certificate).
(5) Vehicles removed and taken into custody under this section are subject to sale under ORS 819.210 (Sale of vehicle not reclaimed) or 819.220 (Disposal of vehicle without notice and public auction) if the vehicles are not reclaimed as provided under ORS 819.150 (Rights and liabilities of owner) or returned to the owner or person entitled to possession under ORS 819.190 (Hearing to contest validity of removal and custody). [1983 c.338 §417; 1995 c.758 §8]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information