Driving uninsured prohibited
- • penalty
(1) A person commits the offense of driving uninsured if the person operates a motor vehicle in this state on any highway or premises open to the public in this state without either:
(a) The person being insured while driving the vehicle under a motor vehicle liability insurance policy that meets the requirements described under ORS 806.080 (Insurance); or
(b) The person or the owner of the vehicle providing the Department of Transportation with other satisfactory proof of compliance with the financial responsibility requirements of this state.
(2) Exemptions from this section are established under ORS 806.020 (Exemptions from financial responsibility requirements).
(3) In addition to other penalties under this section the following apply:
(a) A person who is involved in a motor vehicle accident at any time the person is in violation of this section is subject to suspension of the person’s driving privileges under ORS 809.417 (Suspension for conduct regarding accidents).
(b) A person who is convicted of violating this section is subject to ORS 806.230 (Failure of previous violator to file), if the person does not make future responsibility filings as required by that section.
(4) A person convicted for violation of this section must file with the department, and thereafter maintain for a period of three years, proof of financial responsibility that complies with ORS 806.060 (Methods of compliance). Failure to comply with this subsection is subject to ORS 809.415 (Suspensions for conduct involving judgments, financial responsibility, dishonesty).
(5) The offense described in this section, driving uninsured, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §837; 1985 c.16 §422; 1985 c.714 §1; 1991 c.350 §1; 1991 c.702 §4; 2003 c.402 §12]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information