(1) In the absence of just cause for refusal, the Department of Transportation shall provide for registration of any vehicle required to be registered by this state in a manner consistent with this section for persons who qualify as disabled veterans under this section. The special registration provisions under this section are subject to all of the following:
(a) The fee is the one-time registration fee established by ORS 803.420 (Registration fees) for vehicles registered under this section.
(b) The department may issue registrations for vehicles in a household under this section in a number equal to the number of persons in the household who qualify as disabled veterans under subsection (2) of this section.
(c) The department shall not register any commercial vehicle under this section.
(2) A person is a disabled veteran who qualifies for registration of a vehicle under this section if the person:
(a) Is a disabled veteran whose disability results from causes connected with service in the Armed Forces of the United States; and
(b) Has been a member of and discharged or released under honorable conditions from the Armed Forces of the United States, and whose service was for not less than 90 consecutive days or who was discharged or released on account of a service-connected injury or illness prior to the completion of the minimum period of service.
(3) A person qualifies as a disabled veteran under subsection (2) of this section if the person presents a letter from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States certifying that the person is a disabled veteran.
(4) Registration issued under this section is valid as provided in ORS 803.415 (Registration periods for vehicles). The registration period for vehicles registered under this section exempts the registration from any requirement to be renewed or to make payment of renewal fees. However, if any owner would be required to comply with ORS 815.310 (Proof of compliance with requirements) upon issuance or renewal of regular registration for the vehicle, the owner must comply with ORS 815.310 (Proof of compliance with requirements) in the same manner as for other vehicles or the department may suspend the registration of the vehicle until the owner submits proof of compliance.
(5) The department may suspend or revoke any registration issued under this section if the department determines that the vehicle is owned by a person not qualified for registration under this section or the vehicle is a kind not qualified for registration under this section. [1983 c.338 §247; 1985 c.16 §92; 1993 c.741 §127; 1997 c.517 §1; 1999 c.778 §1]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information