Power to engage in certain commercial activities
For the use of the Port of Portland or for public convenience and the convenience of air transport, shipping, commercial and industrial development of the port and the waterfront of its harbors, rivers and waterways, the port may:
(1) Acquire by purchase, condemnation or other lawful method lands necessary for its use or to be improved for public convenience and the convenience of the air transport, shipping, commercial and industrial development of the port as well as all or any part of the waterfront of its harbors, rivers and waterways.
(2) Acquire by purchase, condemnation or other lawful method lands necessary or convenient for the purpose of depositing or dumping thereon earth, sand, gravel, rock or other material dredged or excavated, in the exercise of any of its powers, from any of the rivers or other waterways or lands within the boundaries or under the control of the port.
(3) Enlarge its tidal area, fill and reclaim lands, and make such disposition by use, conveyance, development or lease of lands so filled or reclaimed as it considers advisable.
(4) Construct, excavate and dredge canals and channels connecting its waterways with one another, with other waterways and with the sea.
(5) Purchase or otherwise acquire, construct, operate, maintain, lease, rent and dispose of airports, and their approaches, wharves, piers, docks, slips, warehouses, elevators, dry docks, terminals, buildings, and all other facilities and aids incident to the development, protection and operation of the port and of the air transport, shipping, commercial and industrial interests of the port, within the port, and collect wharfage, storage and other charges for the use of such facilities.
(6) Own, acquire, construct, purchase, lease, operate and maintain within the port lines of railroad, with sidetracks, turnouts, switches and connections with other lines of railroad, and streets, roads, water mains, sewers, pipelines, and also gas and electric conduits and lines which a utility is unwilling or unable to furnish, within or to or from the boundaries of the port; and carry and transport freight and passengers thereon and thereover for hire, and perform lighterage for hire.
(7) Acquire, own, lease, rent, operate, maintain and dispose of towboats, barges and other vessels for the transportation of cargo or passengers in maritime commerce on the Columbia and Snake Rivers and their tributaries, within or without the boundaries of this state.
(8) Acquire, own, lease, rent, operate, maintain and dispose of unit trains and related facilities for the transportation of bulk commodities to facilities within the port from locations within or without the port. [Amended by 1959 c.362 §2; 1967 c.548 §1; 1971 c.728 §106; 1973 c.178 §6; 1981 c.879 §4]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information