(1) Any public utility or telecommunications utility that fails to comply with an order or subpoena issued pursuant to ORS 756.090 (Maintaining and producing records) shall forfeit, for each day it so fails, a sum of not less than $50 nor more than $500.
(2) Except where a penalty is otherwise provided by law, any public utility, telecommunications utility or other person subject to the jurisdiction of the Public Utility Commission shall forfeit a sum of not less than $100 nor more than $10,000 for each time that the person:
(a) Violates any statute administered by the commission;
(b) Does any act prohibited, or fails to perform any duty enjoined upon the person;
(c) Fails to obey any lawful requirement or order made by the commission; or
(d) Fails to obey any judgment made by any court upon the application of the commission.
(3) Violation of ORS 756.115 (Failure to furnish requested information) is a Class A violation. A penalty of not less than $500 nor more than $1,000 shall be recovered from the public utility or telecommunications utility for each such offense when such officer, agent or employee acted in obedience to the direction, instruction or request of the public utility, telecommunications utility or any general officer thereof.
(4) Violation of ORS 756.125 (Interference with commission's equipment) is punishable, upon conviction, by a fine of not more than $100 or imprisonment for not more than 30 days, or both. Any public utility or telecommunications utility that knowingly permits the violation of ORS 756.125 (Interference with commission's equipment) shall forfeit, upon conviction, not more than $1,000 for each offense.
(5) Violation of ORS 756.543 (Issuance of subpoenas) (1) is punishable, upon conviction, by a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $1,000, or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or both.
(6) In construing and enforcing this section, the act, omission or failure of any officer, agent or other person acting for or employed by any public utility, telecommunications utility or other person subject to the jurisdiction of the commission acting within the scope of the person’s employment shall in every case be deemed to be the act, omission or failure of such public utility, telecommunications utility or other person subject to the jurisdiction of the commission. With respect to any violation of any statute administered by the commission, any penalty provision applying to such a violation by a public utility or telecommunications utility shall apply to such a violation by any other person.
(7) Except when provided by law that a penalty, fine, forfeiture or other sum be paid to the aggrieved party, or as provided in ORS 757.994 (Civil penalty for violation of statute, rule or order related to water utilities) (1), all penalties, fines or forfeitures or other sums collected or paid under the provisions of any law administered by the commission shall be paid into the General Fund and credited to the Public Utility Commission Account. [1971 c.655 §63; 1973 c.232 §4; 1973 c.776 §33; 1977 c.105 §1; 1979 c.415 §1; 1987 c.447 §95; 1995 c.733 §73; 1999 c.1051 §223; 2003 c.202 §9; 2003 c.576 §560]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information