Reporting criminal conduct involving insurance
(1) Notwithstanding ORS 746.665 (Limitations and conditions on disclosure of certain information), an insurer shall cooperate with any law enforcement agency or other state or federal agency that is investigating or prosecuting suspected criminal conduct involving insurance. The insurer shall provide any information requested by the agency unless the information is subject to a legal privilege that would prohibit disclosure.
(2) If an insurer has reason to believe that criminal conduct involving insurance has been, is being or is about to be committed, the insurer shall notify the appropriate agency of that fact. The insurer is not required to notify the agency if the information or any part of the information upon which the belief is based is protected from disclosure by legal privilege.
(3) An insurer providing information under this section may request information relating to the investigation that is in the possession or control of the agency. The agency may not provide an insurer with information that is privileged or confidential. Otherwise, the agency shall disclose requested information unless disclosure would jeopardize an ongoing investigation or prosecution. The agency may require that the insurer not disclose the information to any other person.
(4) A person who has reason to believe criminal conduct involving insurance has been, is being or is about to be committed, or who collects, reviews or analyzes information concerning suspected criminal conduct involving insurance, may furnish any unprivileged information in the person’s possession concerning the suspected criminal conduct to an insurer who requests the information for the purpose of detecting, prosecuting or preventing criminal conduct involving insurance.
(5) If an insurer or agency does not provide information as required by this section and the suspected criminal conduct results in a conviction, the insurer or agency is not eligible for any compensation to which the insurer or agency might otherwise be entitled from any award under ORS 137.106 (Restitution to victims). [1999 c.633 §3]
Note: See second note under 731.590 ("Insurer" defined for ORS 731.592 and 731.594).
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information